1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bilnrobn, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    My mail comes via Outlook Express. Lately incoming mail often produces an error message saying it is looking for Microsoft Office 2000 and to insert the CD. I don't have Office 2000, either on the computer or on a CD. (Though I do have the 2007 version.) The mail that causes the problem seems to be that which was keyed in by the sender, not notifications from a website etc. I have found that if I change Tools/Options/Read to "Read all mail in plain text" it doesn't happen.

Can anyone suggest what I can do about this, (without resorting to plain text display)? It didn't happen previously and I can't identify why it has suddenly started happening.

2. 87654321

I think it is looking for the spell checker which comes with Office 2000. You can download the free spell checker for OE here-- http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    No that's not it, I downloaded it but it made no difference. (When sending mail it has always accessed a spell check, I assume the Office 2007 one.)

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

Have you recently added any security software like plug-ins, etc., especially anything for Outlook?

I think it could be helpful too to know what if anything you may have installed or removed around the time the problem began...

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    It has been happening for several months now, so I don't recall what may have been downloaded just beforehand. Nothing to do with Outlook. (I only use the calendar feature.) Mail is via Outlook Express.

6. DerekC

DerekC

Just a shot in the dark, but Outlook Express was replaced by Windows Mail, maybe the emails coming through have New features or security that Express can't handle. Any particular reason that you are using Express if you have Outlook 2007?

7. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    The outlook I have is 2000 as well. (My Office 2007 CD only has Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote included.)

On surfing around it seems XP can use Windows Live Mail, but I can't find a download for just that. Is there one? I've considered Thunderbird but it doesn't seem to have OE's ability to store mail in multiple folders. I'm happy to change to any replacement for OE if it is both able to accommodate a multiple folder ability and the transfer of OE's address book.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't seem to have OE's ability to store mail in multiple folders", but I think you will find a great deal of flexibility with Thunderbird. You can create new folders, rules for when mail should go to them, and move files from any folder to any other (even to Inbox), which you can't do with most mail apps. If you don't like it, uninstall it. I have 7 external mail accounts that load to Thunderbird now. It also has add-ons from Mozilla to add innumerable new or added features you may want.

Live Mail is also good, and I have 3 accounts on that. You download the installer for Live Essentials and then choose to install what you want from among them when you run it. There are other parts you may want to try since they are all good, like the Writer, for example. They can be used alongside any other programs you already have.

As far as OE goes, I am running it on Windows 7, so could potentially offer you some ideas on repair. But the program is now deprecated and has multiple unaddressed security holes (unaddressed because it is no longer produced, not irresponsibility, ADHD, nor laziness). OE was part of Internet Explorer and not Office, as Outlook is. I'd recommend that you use a better email client, anyway.

9. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Elvandil. I've just downloaded Windows Live Mail. At this point I'm finding it a bit overwhelming. It seems to have imported my several email addresses and ISP info successfully, but the transferring of my OE address book into contacts is a bit of a puzzle. It has listed over 400 addresses, but they are all very old ones and don't match the current OE Address Book. The thought of manually setting up my whole address book one item at a time is something I want to avoid if I can. I have worked out how to put them into categories though, and it automatically sorts the mail into my various addresses too which is a big improvement on OE.

Any thoughts on transferring my OE address book into my Live Mail contacts? Is there a way?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, I found no direct method to import OE's address book. Unfortunately, it is too old for most programs to have included a method. I finally did a passable job by manual editing of the CSV fields, some of which did not have equals in one or the other (no doubt a contributing reason for the lack of import support).

Some thoughts, not necessarily rational or workable:
    1) My Thunderbird, Version 3.1.10, says it can import the OE address book. You could install it just for that and later uninstall it. I believe that Live can import from Thunderbird.
    2) See if Hotmail can import OE's book and then get it for Live from there.

11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I can't see a way in Live Mail to import from anywhere. Do you know how it would import from Thunderbird?. Entering manually into LM's contacts doesn't even allow copy/paste, but I've found that Ctrl/V will get around that.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I can't even figure out how I imported the CSV file now, but I know that somewhere I found a method and what the fields of the file contained. I'll just keep looking. In the meantime, check the net to see if anyone else managed to solve this. There may even be a free program to do it (wishful thinking?). Surely, you are not the first or only.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, here's the gist of it, though it doesn't help much. Basically, it gets you back to where I was at editing the CSV file, which took me several days of many hours for my 5000+ mail account, so maybe not the best for most people.

"•If you sign in with a Windows Live ID, your contacts will sync automatically." So, if you can get them into Hotmail....

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
  15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Congrats! I just got back with almost the same. So...that means you can later help someone else with this problem, right?

Good luck.[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice