1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Solved} Outlook Express problem

Discussion in 'Archive: Web & Email' started by Baby Cindi, Mar 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Baby Cindi

Baby Cindi Thread Starter

Okay, here's my problem:

All of a sudden, my Outlook Express popped up an error message after trying to download my email.

"An Outlook Express store file may be damaged. Please use a utility such as ScanDisk to verify and repair any damaged files."

Sooooo, I tried to run Scan Disk. After maybe 30 seconds, a message popped up to tell me:

"Scan Disk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable Scan Disk to finish earlier."

So, how can I fix this file if it keeps restarting every time I try to do it? I let Scan Disk keep running for close to 2 hours, hoping it would eventually fix things...but it didn't.

Any help would be much appreciated. =0)

2. Sponsor

3. Baby Cindi

....I need to state that I did indeed close out all running programs, but to no avail.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Click on Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS Dos Mode. Once it's restarted in DOS, just type in Scandisk to run it. Once your done type in Win to restart Windows.

If you still are having problems with OEX, try this, Start OEX. Then click on File>Compact>Compact All. Now see if you get the same error message.

If that does no good, try this,

Start>Find>Files(Be sure "Look In" is set to the entire c: drive), key in folders.dbx and press enter. Right click on it and select Rename. Now rename it Folders.old

Now start OEX and try it.

Let us know what happens.

[Edited by Bryan on 03-24-2001 at 06:55 AM]

5. Baby Cindi

Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! Thank you!

Did I mention "Thank you"?

Your advice worked like a charm, Bryan! You rock. =0)

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Your welcome, glad to hear you're ok now but which suggestion fixed it? It's good to know for others than come here with the same problem.

BTW, I see your a game designer. Can you design Dreamboat, a moderator here at this site, and myself, a game called "Beat Up Mulder"? Basically it would be a game where a lawyer by the name of Mulder would move back and forth on the screen and then we can do away with him using all sorts of terrible things. You may not understand this, it's really just an inside joke here at this site but a game like that would be fun. I know Dreamboat would love it. :)

[Edited by Bryan on 03-24-2001 at 08:11 AM]

7. Baby Cindi

The first suggestion worked (restarting in DOS, etc.). =0)

As for me being a game designer, I design pen & paper rpg's, miniatures games & similar games. Check out our website at (yeah, cheap plug. lol)http://www.rpghost.com/nevermoregames/sst/spectrum.html

Sorry I'm not able to help with the Mulder thingie. ;0)

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Ahh schucks, I was hoping for a Java based game with an animated weasel called Mulder that we could hunt down and do horrible things to. :)

Thanks for coming back to reply about the solution.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I thought we did that already without the java. I mean, nobody has to make mulder into an animated weasel. He already was one. I guess the only thing we DON'T do is hunt him down.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/40493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice