Solved: Outlook Express Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

faller49

Last night a friend requested some music files.. I had some of the artists music in the 'MY Music files' So I started sending them to him..I have done this for others several times over a couple year period with no problems.. After sending 7 songs..sent each one indivually..I started getting a error message stating something about server timing out etc...It was late so I just figured the cable had went down(which it does more often than I like ) and shut down and went to bed.., Well today .I get same thing... I can send emails without attachments..I am recieving email but if I try to send a mail with a file attachment Outlook Express will not send it..my connection is OK and I can do web searches..connect to my usual sites etc..Nothing new has been added to the computer..no settings changes lately..was working fine..then quit..

any ideas would be GREAT..

For what it is worth.. I did some speed tests and on download i get about 4.9 mbps on them all, on upload I get varing from about 60 kbps to a max of 372 kbps.. I called my cable company and they say there is no problems on their end..???????????

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Twheelock

Have the messages left the Outbox?

Please post the exact error message you are receiving.

faller49

First one says
your SMPT server has timed out 90 seconds would you like to try again...In trying again I get same results...... then
I get a send/recieve error message stating mail could not be sent and suggesting different reasons

AS A UPDATE..
I called cable company again and got a different Tech.. he did speed test and could read my cable modem and is sending a guy out tomorrow to change the cable modem

ALSO don't know if I should do a different post on this..
The Cable tech had me open up a task manager window and I had 61 running processes with all windows and outlook express closed .. He said that was to many..how do i figure out what and how to shut some of them off..

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
your SMPT server has timed out 90 seconds would you like to try again
That was the exact message?

Still don't know if all the messages have left the Outbox. :confused:

You can adjust the server timeouts in Outlook Express:
Tools > Accounts > (AccountName) > Properties > Advanced tab
Look for the Server Timeouts section,
Move the slider over to 2 minutes.
Apply, OK, Close to save and close.

Send a message addressed to yourself as a test, include an attachment if necessary.
If that fails, adjust the Server timeout to 3 minutes, repeat the test message.
Then finally adjust the Server timeout to 5 minutes, repeat the test message.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

Yes, start another thread for the running processes in the Windows XP forum

faller49

sorry on the not being exact..first message is exact as I state except with a try again button and a cancel button

I will try to get all the wording on the SEND/RECEIVE error message.. it's alot having to do with check for internet connection..check settings etc..

no the mails do not leave the send folder.. and I just tried the server time out to 5 minutes and it gets closer on the send bar but still timeouts. music file size is 2.71 MB.. It is one of the smaller ones and have sent many larger ones..

Thank you..

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
So you still have a message that is stuck in the Outbox.
See if you can delete the message in the Outbox, it may have actually sent and the recipient is receiving it again and again. :eek:

faller49

LOL.. i had alrady thought of that..happened to my Mom with AOL last year..lots and lots of the same mails..

I deleted the mail out of the send folder and it is empty..

edit part
and also outbox folder is also empty..I had also deleted everything out of it when I did the delete of the send folder

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Open the Outbox folder,
File > Folder > Compact

After compacting the Outbox folder move to the Inbox folder and create another message addressed to yourself. This time include an attachment that is smaller, attach a .txt file.

See if that goes through ok.

faller49

Ok did the compress and found a .txt file (476 bytes).. it sent to myself OK.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
What anti-virus program are you using?
Do you have e-mail scanning enabled?

See if disabling the outgoing scan will allow a message with an attachment the size you were sending, to complete the process.

Are you receiving everything that has been sent?

faller49

I use F-secure provided by Charter Cable .. I have had it for approx 3 years ..It does scan outgoing mail but the check box is grayed out not allowing it to be disabled.

I have received the emails I sent to myself including the .txt attached but do not receive the larger music file.. it just does not get out of the outbox folder

To refine a little..I have been recieving mails all day but none with attachments ..I asked a friend to send some songs and he did and they came very quickly..I also do Fantasy Football so I went to the site and that was ok (normal speed etc) but I made a roster change and it did it but was slow.. I think that would all point to a upload problem..but I could be wrong..

I appreciate your time on this.

faller49

here is the 'about ' in my version.
they call it Charter High Speed-Security Suite...

Charter High-Speed Security Suite 7.03 build 106

F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.30 build 13161
F-Secure Automatic Update Agent 8.23 build 2376
F-Secure User Interface 6.80 build 2700
F-Secure Management Agent 7.50 build 10035
F-Secure Parental Control 7.01 build 13162
F-Secure Spam-Control 1.2 build 6950
F-Secure Internet Shield 6.16 build 71
F-Secure Email Scanner 6.00 build 378
F-Secure System Control 2.02 build 119
F-Secure Online Help 1.32 build 1020

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online