1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express/Server terminates connection???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ront2, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ront2

ront2 Thread Starter

Four days ago, when attempting to check email on my computer ( IE ver.
    6.0.2; outlook express), my emails stopped loading at the count of 20;
    it still stops at 20; with the date of those emails 4days before.
    Message says *your server has unexpectedly terminated connection*
    with *possible causes* being *network problem*,*server problem* and
    *long periods of inactivity*. I am not on a network and I check email
    various times thoughout the day, therefore not inactivity. The old Jan. 24th emails prior to #20 still load on OE, but are repeated 4 times. I went to the cox.net webmail site but they do dot have the file I want to delete. Tried changing load time to 5 minutes to create less *inactivity*, but still got same message. I would appreciate any information or guidance on how to get my email going properly again.
    Thanks a lot,
    Ron ([email protected])

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ront2

Can you post the exact error message here, please?

How do you connect to the Internet?
    Dial-up
    DSL
    Cable?

Let us know.

3. ront2

ront2 Thread Starter

I have a cable connection through our cable tv line. Cox Cable here in Henderson,NV. The following was the message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this includes server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. account: 'pop.west.cox.net'. 'Server '127.0.0.1'. Protocol: POP3. Port:110. Secure (SSL): No. Errror: 0x800CCC0F. This was all under the error tab. Under the task tab was the message - checks for new messages on 'pop.west... - status failed - connection Local Area Netw..
    -- FYI--Its now at receiving message 20 of 270.
    Thanks for still helping me.
    Ron ([email protected])

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In Outlook Express:
    Tools > Accounts > (Account Name) > Properties > Advanced tab
    Do you have the option: Leave a copy of messages on server enabled?
    Check each account.

If so, locate the directory where Outlook Express keeps it's message store:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder
    Note the location, then Cancel out of the window.

Close Outlook Express.
    Using Windows Explorer, naviagate to that directory, locate the Pop3uidl.dbx file and rename it: Pop3uidl.dbx.old.

Restart Outlook Express and attempt to download the messages again.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Which anti-virus program are you using?
    Do you have e-mail scanning enabled in your anti-virus program?

If so, try disabling e-mail scanning, then attempt to download your messages.

6. ront2

ront2 Thread Starter

Thanks EA,
    Email is up and working. From your instruction on post#5, I disabled the email scanning, and was able to read all my past 200plus emails. It was a recent update that McAfee did to their security suite that caused the situation. The 3 choices I have under email are 1. disable inbound email 2. disable outbound email 3. disable wormstopper. All 3 have been disabled; and I am wondering about enabling #s 2 & 3, and keeping #1 (inbound)disabled. Does that sound OK? Or am I taking a chance with inbound email scanning being disabled. Thanks EA for being a great help! The people at Cox were more of a novice than me; Tech Support Guy is great.
    Sincerely, Ron ([email protected])

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

You are welcome, glad we could assist. :)

I use AVG and I keep my e-mail scanning disabled as it causes lag problems with my Outlook Express, just as you have experienced.
    You can re-enable those options and all may be fine. If problems start again, disable those options again to see if they are interfering with receiving your messages.

Keep your Inbox empty in Outlook Express, move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.

You can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice