1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express suddenly asking for a logon password (Yahoo)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MCROZ, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

For no apparent reason when I try and send mail I am now getting a "Logon- pop.mail.yahoo.com" dialog box showing "server smtp.mail.yahoo.com" - with my user name pre-printed and (apparently) my password remembered. The "remember password" box is checked but greyed out. Pressing OK achieves nothing - neither does re-entering the password and clicking OK.

Any ideas ? - no clue why this has happened - never been like it before and now seems I cannot send any mail - when I try to do so the logon and password box pops up - although mail is arriving in my inbox. Seems when the "authorizing"
    activity starts - after "connecting" - the server is looking for a password.

Am also getting this error message :
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Also can't work out how to change or reset the password !

Thanks for any help offered as usual .....

2. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

Don't make changes to Outlook Express if the problem is at the server.

Wait until tomorrow if possible to see if they (yahoo) get their problem fixed. If that is not an option, write back and we will take more steps to try an resolve your issue.

3. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

Thank you Sir ...let's see what happens ....problem first manifested itself last night but then seemed to "fix itself" and i can see my wife has been able to send 3 emails during the day today - so maybe it is a yahoo server issue. I just tried unchecking the "my sever requires authentication" box in the "accounts -servers" section under tools (before I read your "don't mess with it" advice ! )- and it didn't fix -simply rejected my email address when trying to send the mail !

4. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

If you are able to Receive email but not send, that tells me there is a problem with SMTP. You are likely not authenticating properly with the yahoo SMTP server.

POP delivers email to your inbox, SMTP takes email from your outbox and sends it
    (Simplistic overview of email)

Have you shut down and restarted your computer?
    Have you checked with yahoo tech support?

I would do the simple stuff first.

HTH Write back tomorrow if you still need help.

5. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

makes sense ....I will shut down and restart ...but strange that this happned last night and then again today (ie after a previous shutdown) Yahoo tech support would be a good bet (I have emailed from the help site !)

Thanks for help so far - appreciated.

6. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

Shut down and restart didn't fix it - will check for Yahoo tech response tomorrow.

7. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

OK - so far no response from Yahoo tech support and problem persists. It is definitely an authentication/conection with SMTP server problem. I have the OE settings as follows in the "servers" setion under tools -

incoming mail = POP3
    Incoming mail (POP) pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming mail server account name and password are correct and registered
    Remember password box is checked
    Logon using secure Password authentication box is not checked

Outgoing Mail Server "my server requires authentication" box is checked
    In the outgoing mail server settings I have - in the "logon information" section -

"logon using" button checked
    Account name correctly entered (same account name as incoming mail)
    Password entered (same as incoming) with remember password box checked

"logon using secure password authentication" box is not checked.

I have also tried connecting and sending mail with the "use same settings as my incoming mail server" checked - but same problem - as soon as OE tries to send mail - it asks me for the smtp server logon (account name and pasword) details- but will never accept them. Hitting the cancel button at this stage them moves it into receive mail and this works perfectly .......

A mystery (to me at least) as I've been using OE and connecting to Yahoo successfully for 4 years.

8. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

What version of Outlook Express are you using?

9. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

forgive the dumb question but how do I find out the version...seems that it is the version originally installed in 2004 (I updgared IE to IE 7 but I don't think I ever upgraded OE)

10. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

Typically version info can be found under Help --> About in the menubar.

May not matter here. We are going to try something and see if this doesn't fix your problem.

Open Outlook Express

From the "Tools" menu, select "Accounts."
    Select your Yahoo! POP account and click the "Properties" button.
    Click the "Advanced" tab.
    Next to "Outgoing server (SMTP)," change port 25 to 587.
    Click "Apply," then click "OK" and "Close."

Try to send an email.

HTH

11. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

OE6....wil try the fix now

12. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

nope - sorry didn't work - same problem ...have closed and restarted OE (but not windows) but same problem persists .as soon as OE starts it automatically does a send and receive and as I have a test mail sitting in my outbox it is instantly asking for and then not accepting the logon.

13. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

14. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

Did you change your POP and SMTP server in OE?

Incoming Mail Server (POP3):
    plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):
    plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

15. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Noticed in the links, one of the replies gave a Port #995. Worth a shot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702442