1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express to Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by twscarp, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi guys (& girls), I have been computing with XP for about 5 1/2 years, with no major issues, but admittedly I'm not that swift technically with it. Monday I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, followed the dual boot instructions, and it is working! Thought I would give it a try. I have read some articles and googled topics, but cannot get the email working. I currently use Outlook Express in XP, and works every well for me. I would like to use that also in Ubuntu, but apparently is not possible. What is a easy solution, do people bring their old email program with them somehow, or do they use the email program Evolution packaged with Ubuntu? I tried downloading Thunderbird (I read that to import the OE addresses, it must go through Thunderbird), and I think it downloaded, but I don't know where it went, and don't know how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,...Tom

2. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    For Thunderbird -
    - where did you download it from?.
    - have you looked for it in the menu/ Possibly 'applications' > office or applications > internet?

Evolution comes with Ubuntu as you've noticed. It's a bit more like Outlook than Outlook Express as it comes with calendar & reminder etc.

See how your hunt for Thunderbird goes first though!!

Richard

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I use Thunderbird in all my systems, but I'm sure Evolution also works fine.

4. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi Richard, sorry for so late in reply. Beautiful day here, been outside. Can't remember exactly, but think it was a Googled Ubuntu help link. I will check the applications, thanks,...Tom

5. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet, going to see if I can find it.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Ubuntu 10.10 is to be released tomorrow, so you may want to get that version soon.

To get Thunderbird for Ubuntu: Applications - Ubuntu Software Center - type Thunderbird into the search bar at the upper right - click on Install.

After it is installed you will find it in Applications - Internet (or maybe Accessories or Office). I right click on it and "Add this launcher to panel." The latter is the equivalent to adding something to XP's Quick Launch bar.

7. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet, I'm making progress, got it installed and it works. Still have to figure out the importing of the address book. Wondering how difficult it is to set up Evolution? Have to run, will continue tomorrow, thanks again,...Tom

8. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

Not a problem...Enjoy the weather! Hope you get this email sorted :)

9. lewmur

lewmur

You have to first export the OE address book.

10. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi Lewmur, do you know the procedure to get OE address book to Evolution and Thunderbird installed on Ubuntu? Thanks,...Tom

11. lewmur

lewmur

As I said, you have to first export the OE address book. This creates a text file which can be imported to TB. In TB, click /Tools/Import and select the file you exported from OE. Then, if you prefer using Evolution, you can import directly from TB. I don't use Evo so I don't recall its exact procedure, but that should be easy to google.

12. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

OK Lewmur sounds good, I'll give that a try, thanks,...Tom

13. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi guys, last night I finally got the address book imported, the link below was VERY helpful. Now I'm having big trouble importing the Firefox Bookmarks, any ideas out there? Another problem is you know like in Outlook Express some emails will have a box saying "Some pictures have been blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer.", but if you click on the box the pictures download. In Evolution I don't see any method of making the pictures download. Again any help appreciated, thanks,...Tom

http://www.howtoforge.com/importing_outlook_express_into_thunderbird_evolution

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What is the trouble. Do you have Firefox on the Windows machine and want to copy the bookmarks only to Firefox on Ubuntu?

15. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet, yes I have it on my Windows and want to copy to Ubuntu. I tried Export HTML, and the Backup, but FF in Ubuntu says there are no files available to import. Thanks,...Tom

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955157