1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express "uninstalled" itself after MS update

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NW Guy, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NW Guy

NW Guy Thread Starter

I'm using Win XP Home and subscribe to Microsoft's automatic updates and kind of trust Bill's kids not to corrupt anything in the process.

So the other day after an update session (Service Pact 3 maybe? ) When I restarted the computer OE was totally unavailable, desktop icon gone, couldn't find in "Programs". So I am wondering what happened. I did run a "find" for .dbx files and all the OE file catagories I had before came up as still existing but I can't access them without the main program, at least with my limited knowledge.

Should I try to reinstall OE 6? And where do I find it? Or what. I have had this computer for 4 or 5 years and lots of mail is stored in the OE files. I have a secondary question, if I ever do recover my old OE can I transfer some of the files to Word or some other program that I want to archive instead of burdening OE with them.

I have accessed my current e-mails thru my ISP since the disappearnce of OE but would sure like to have the other archive files available again.

Any help is welcome, thanks

Dick

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi NW Guy

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Open the Run box, press the Windows Logo key and R.
    Or use, Start > Run

Key in exactly:
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
    Click: OK

Outlook Express should start.

To restore the shortcut for Outlook Express:
    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Window Components (Left side of the Control Panel)
    In the Add/Remove Window Components window, scroll down to Outlook Express.
    If Outlook Express is checked, uncheck it.
    Click Next then click Finish

Click the Add/Remove Window Components again, this time, place a check mark for Outlook Express.
    Click Next then click Finish

A shortcut should now be on the Start menu, it will probably be at the end of the Start menu. From that shortcut, you can send it to the Desktop as a shortcut and drag the second shortcut to the Quick Launch bar, if desired.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. NW Guy

NW Guy Thread Starter

OK, I followed those instructions to the T and OE came right back. Wondered if that is a common result of updating MS patches etc.......or did I do something else wrong.
    Thanks again

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thanks for posting back and letting us know your results. :)

Yes, as I understand it, each time you download an Office Update, this may occur. :(

At least you know why and how to retrieve the shortcuts.

Scroll to topic #13:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice