1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook Express-Where are the messages stored?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by loydclayton, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loydclayton

loydclayton Thread Starter

I use Outlook Express with my IE7. I have added a folder inside Outlook Express called Hold. Messages in my in-box that I have already read but do not yet want to delete, I move them into this Hold folder. It's sort of an archive box for me.

I have an External 200 GB hard drive. Is there any way for me to move messages from my Inbox in Outlook Express to a Hold folder on that drive? I cannot see a way to drag and drop messages from inside Outlook Expres to anywhere outside of Outlook Express. I thought that maybe I could use Windows Explorer to copy or move messages from the Hold folder in Outlook Express (on Drive C) to my Hold folder on my exernal drive (Drive F), but I can't find any of the Outlook Express folders on my Drive C.

Is there any easy way for me to do this?

Thanks,

Loyd

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Outlook Express does not have a way of placing the folders into a location other than the default location (* see my next message), at least I am pretty sure.

Where is that default location? In:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<YourName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{some32charactername}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

That "32charactername" part can be almost anything. If you have multiple identities defined on your Outlook Express, you will see a folder there, for each identity. There are ways to figure out which 32charactername folder is for which identity. I usually just look at the files within, and figure out which is which, and make note of it.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Oh, by the way. There are ways to change the default storage location for the Outlook Express files, but ALL the files will need to be in that same location - and that is your new "default" location. You can't define one folder (like your "Hold" folder) to be in a different location apart from the others.

4. loydclayton

loydclayton Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It seemed like such a simple and logical request! Guess it's time to start thinning out my Hold folder.

-Loyd

5. Moby

Moby

Create a folder on your external hard drive and leave the hard drive window open with the folder showing.
    Then open up outlook express. Once opened, minimise it a bit (dragging the programme window edges in) so you have the outlook express window open big enough to see the message headers, but small enough to see the folder on your hard drive. You can then drag the messages, by the header/subject line into the folder. You can select multiple messages by selecting the first e-mail, then whilst holding down the shift key, select the last e-mail in the list. All in between will be selected. You can select multiple random messages also by holding down the control key whilst selecting them, they all stay selected this way.Then drag them to the folder on mass.
    The emails in the folder are copies of the ones in outlook express so delete the OE ones if you don't want them to be there after you have them in the seperate folder.
    It works in reverse too so if you want the emails back into OE to forward/reply too, drag them back in using the above process.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

A simple way to go to the folder you want ( especially if there is more than one mailbox) is to open OE and click Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder. Copy the address of the Store Location by setting the cursor at the left of the address and dragging it across to highlight the entire address ( go off the right side of the box to get it all). Press Control+C. Click Cancel on the Store Location box, then Cancel on the Options. Open any folder (My Documents will do) and click in the address bar to highlight it. Press Control+V to paste the Store Location into the address bar and hit Go. The Mailbox folder will open and the DBX files can be copied to another location.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice