1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nemoryer, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

While I have (big sigh!!!!) successfully figured out how to delete my INBOX messages in Outlook Express, I find that it is also deleting my INBOX in my Comcast Webmail.

Somehow, the 2 got linked. When I first bought my computer 4 years ago, the 2 entities were un-linked.

Anyone have any ideas how to delete messages from Outlook Express WITHOUT affecting my Comcast Webmail INBOX?

Thanking anyone in advance.

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Outlook Express is like a mailman. It goes to the post office (webmail)
    and brings the email to you (your computer). So, it should be at that
    point in time that the email disappears from the Comcast site.

Deleting the emails on your computer shouldn't have any effect or
    relation to the emails on a website.

Now, if you want to leave copies on the website:
    OE->Tools->Accounts->Properties->Advance Tab.
    Put a check mark where it says:
    Leave a copy of message on server.

3. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Thank you very much - it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

You're welcome (y)

5. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Hi Again -- Now that I can delete "all" Inbox Messages from my Outlook Express, thanks to the genuises at Tech Support, I am just wondering though, (hmmmm?) if my Outlook Express is somehow corrupted, in that, the "only" way I can erase messages from Outlook Express is by going through the exercise of running my DBX files. And I'm having to do this each time now. I can't complain cuz at least I can delete messages from the Outlook Express. Whew and what a relief I learned to do that through this website!

But absent having to go through the other DBX procedure, messages don't budge from Outlook Express Inbox, like when I first got my computer, I didn't have to do this exercise at all, the messages would just get deleted as I want.

But like I said, I am NOT complaining. I am just thankful they are getting erased.

Thank you very much.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi nemoryer

Could you be more specific as to what "running my DBX files", means? :confused:
    Exactly what steps are you taking?

Messages don't budge from the Inbox? Do you have rules in place that are supposed to move your messages? Or, are you wanting the view to be set that hides read messages and only shows unread messages?
    Select: View > Current View > Hide Read Messages

Are you sure the messages were deleted?

Let us know.

7. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Hi - The steps I am taking are by the one published by Throoper on your website -- Open OE/Tools/Options/Maintenance/Tab Store Folder. Copy the highlighted address (........ run DMX) and close OE and paste that address on to START/RUN.

Then all the OE6 boxes are displayed there and I just delete the boxes I want to delete. It was a fairly easy procedure and they are now all gone from Outlook Express.

Are they "really" being erased, I do not know. All I know is that I am just thankful that in one fell swoop, the messages are "visually" deleted from the OE6 boxes.

The only problem I am encountering now, is that when I'm on OE, I cannot delete messages "directly" from it. I have to use the "run DMX" file everytime I want to delete. But I least I no longer have 100 messages in the inbox that I'd wanting to get rid of for months.

Thank you. If you have any more questions, please ask. I would appreciate any help.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you are deleting the Deleted Items.dbx file and you still cannot delete from the Deleted Items folder then the Folders.dbx file may be corrupted.

To make it easier to get to the Message Store directory, you can create a shortcut to that folder, then accessing it, is as easy as clicking the shortcut.

Access the .dbx directory, locate the Folders.dbx file and rename it Folders.dbx.old. Start Outlook Express, a new Folders.dbx file will be created which will reindex all the .dbx files. It may take a few minutes, so Outlook Express may be slow to open.
    You will lose all folder hierarchy, any subfolders will no longer be subfolders. Instead, all folders will be listed alphabetically.

Attempt to delete a message in the Deleted Items folder.

When was the last time you Compacted the message store, in Outlook Express?
    File > Folder > Compact All Messages

9. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Hi again and thank you for responding.

However, I'm afraid you are asking for the impossible. I am a computer moron. I would not even know where to begin looking for a ".dbx directory."

But suffice to say that (for now), and as long as I can run the dbx file and erase all the messages at one time on OE6, I will be happy with that.

Thank you so much for your replies. (y)

PS: Thankfully, my regular webmail is intact and with no problems. That is actually my default for e-mail that I receive from day to day.

OE6 is just my auxiliary.

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

The .dbx directory is the same directory you are locating using "Open OE/Tools/Options/Maintenance/Tab Store"

Not only is the Deleted Items.dbx file in that directory, but all the other .dbx files, as well.
    The Folders.dbx file lives there too. :)

11. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Thank you very much.:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice