Solved: outlook help with gmail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imnothere

my company recently moved our email to google apps. i have successfully set up the gmail servers in outlook, but now have 2 separate pst. is therer anyway to combine these?

Thanks!

You could just have the email deliver to the old PST file and delete the new one. I suggest also setting it to leave the message on the server if you are using POP3

imnothere

maybe i missed something but when i set upthe account, as soon as you say its an imap, the oiption to use the same,existing pst disappears...

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
PST is used for POP accounts. The way IMAP works is that the emails are saved on the email server and Outlook will sync to it, just like if you are in a corporate enviroment. I would recommend IMAP strongly if you will be using your email on a 2nd device (another computer, smartphone, etc)

imnothere

so do i just have to keep 2 pst files? i have other pop3 accts that i maintain as well as this new gmail for work,,,,

You actually have to set up the account on the web interface to use either POP, IMAP or both before you can set it up on Outlook.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You actually have to set up the account on the web interface to use either POP, IMAP or both before you can set it up on Outlook.
G-Mail now has IMAP set as enabled by default.

The only cavet for IMAP is that it will have it's own inbox.

You can add the inbox to your favorites, and they will appear in the same folder hierarchy. That's what I do anyways. But I prefer Exchange to Gmail for business needs. I use Gmail via IMAP for personal use. It can be nice to have your accounts (i.e. POP) in separate PST files.

imnothere

thanks vfor the help and ther quick responses. i disabled imap and now everything is fine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online