1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: outlook help with gmail

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by imnothere, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imnothere

imnothere Thread Starter

my company recently moved our email to google apps. i have successfully set up the gmail servers in outlook, but now have 2 separate pst. is therer anyway to combine these?

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

You could just have the email deliver to the old PST file and delete the new one. I suggest also setting it to leave the message on the server if you are using POP3

3. imnothere

imnothere Thread Starter

maybe i missed something but when i set upthe account, as soon as you say its an imap, the oiption to use the same,existing pst disappears...

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    PST is used for POP accounts. The way IMAP works is that the emails are saved on the email server and Outlook will sync to it, just like if you are in a corporate enviroment. I would recommend IMAP strongly if you will be using your email on a 2nd device (another computer, smartphone, etc)

5. imnothere

imnothere Thread Starter

so do i just have to keep 2 pst files? i have other pop3 accts that i maintain as well as this new gmail for work,,,,

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Shouldn't hurt it.

7. imnothere

imnothere Thread Starter

just frustrating to have multiple inboxes

8. Rockn

Rockn

You actually have to set up the account on the web interface to use either POP, IMAP or both before you can set it up on Outlook.

9. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    G-Mail now has IMAP set as enabled by default.

The only cavet for IMAP is that it will have it's own inbox.

10. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You can add the inbox to your favorites, and they will appear in the same folder hierarchy. That's what I do anyways. But I prefer Exchange to Gmail for business needs. I use Gmail via IMAP for personal use. It can be nice to have your accounts (i.e. POP) in separate PST files.

11. imnothere

imnothere Thread Starter

thanks vfor the help and ther quick responses. i disabled imap and now everything is fine

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice