1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook mail processing very slow

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bob Parks, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Hi,

I use Outlook 2003. All of my email is sorted by Rule and have been for years. New, non routine, email goes into the Inbox, everything else, sorted by Rule goes into unread mail. During working hours only the Inbox gets read.

Within the past month, the time from Download through sorting to where I can do ANYTHING with Outlook has increased 500%. 100% of the program is consumed with the mail downloading and sorting into Inbox and Unread.

This follows years of speedy work using the same computer. It is a program rather than computer issue (Dell ran some tests and the computer meets original specs) I reinstalled after Detect and Repair didn't improve things, but it is still SLOW.

Do you have any idea which setting I may have gummed up?

Thanks

Bob

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

Hey Bob, I'm glad you got this resolved (y) Could you please post the root cause of the issue (if you determined it) and the solution you discovered in case future readers have the same or similar problems? Thanks.

chris.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks Thread Starter

Sure thing cristobal3,

My antivirus scanner, NOD32 v.3, apparently was scanning not only the incoming piece of mail but the PST file. If I had 10 emails, each email was scanned and the PST file was scanned 10 times.

A MVP on the Microsoft Community Outlook board got me looking in the right direction.

4. cristobal03

cristobal03

Thanks again, good to know.

chris.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice