1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outlook not connecting to mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DexterDave, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

Good Day.

I have a client for whom I am designing a website. Now I moved his domain from one ISP/host provider to another.
    He deleted his email account in Outlook and tried to add it again, but it keeps failing. I tried both pop3 and imap, but none works:

Here's the tricky part: I used the EXACT same settings in Outlook on MY PC, and it connects fine, everytime. Why wouldn't his Outlook connect to the mail server, but mine does? I don't suppose it is a firewall since he has 2 other mail accounts on Outlook that works fine(the 2 other accounts are on a different domain.) As I said, I tried deleting the account and added it again, but nothing (I do NOT use SSL and I also made sure the settings was not for secure mail.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. bkmgy

bkmgy

You may have to check with your ISP/hosting provider to see if the email account is blocked due to Brute Force Protection. Repeated failed attempts might cause the account to be blocked temporarily from a particular IP address.

3. DexterDave

Thank you for your answer. It did not work from the start...before there were any 'repeated' attempts.
    Any other suggestions?

4. bkmgy

bkmgy

What exactly is the error message seen in Outlook ?. You could try to see what is the error returned by the remote mailserver. Is it connecting at all ? If the connection is refused by the remote server, then only your hosting provider can help. If it is connecting and accepting username, then see if the password is accepted and next step is to see if the message is getting listed. Sorry for making this reply very complicated.

If you are familiar with telnet, you can try to connect to the remote pop3 server using pop3 commands and see the exact error message given out by the server.
    telnet command is available in Windows XP by default, but it needs to be enabled in Windows 7. Not sure about Vista. Here are a few basic commands - from the Windows command prompt (Run-->cmd):

(Press Enter after typing each command)

telnet mail.domain.com 110
    + a welcome message will be the response
    USER emailogin
    +OK User name accepted, password please
    PASS secretpassword
    +OK Mailbox open, 3 messages
    LIST
    + will list messages with numbers and sizes.

5. DexterDave

Thank you bkmgy. I completely forgot about Telnet. It helped. Problem was that my ip address was blocked on those ports, either by ISP or Mail Server.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice