Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Outlook & word 2003 are in conflict and crashing

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Nflder 
#1 ·
I'm running XP and MS Office 2003. Whenever I close Outlook it causes Word to display.. "Word has a problem and must close". Then Word starts and when I "X" out of it, it displays "Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template. Do you want to load it?" Clicking no Word starts and looks normal (although it takes about 30 seconds to start) when I "x" out a window appears which says “MS Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close". After clicking OK Word appears again and when I click "X" it goes through the same routine again and this time it may close after bringing up the same error and must close it again...

I have run repair to no avail. When I run Word in safe mode it runs OK. Question is how do I find out which add-on is at fault? I would remove and reinstall it but I don't think that would change anything. I must find out which add-on is causing the trouble.
I should also add that when I call up Word it takes about 20-30 seconds to start.

Any suggestions?

Please...

#2 ·
Problem Solved... The following from About.com resolved my problems...

Oftentimes, problems starting Word can be traced back to a corrupt Normal.dot file. If you’re having problems starting Word, you should check that the problem is not with the Normal.dot template before you reinstall the software.

First, locate the Normal.dot template using My Computer or Windows Explorer. The location will vary from computer to computer, depending on options you specified during the original installation and which version of Windows you are using. However, the file path is most likely C:\Documents and settings\Application data\Microsoft\Templates. Once you have located the file, rename it by using the shortcut menu.

Restart Word from the Start menu or from your desktop icon, if you have one. Word will automatically create a new Normal.dot template; if Word starts without any problems, you can deduce that the problem was a corrupt Normal.dot template.

If the problem persists, it is time to take a look at the Windows Registry entry for Word.

Note: If you have made a lot of customizations to Word, you do not want to delete the old Normal.dot template. You can use the Organizer to copy the customizations you made to your new Normal.dot file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.