1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Outook and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Stevii, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stevii

Stevii Thread Starter

Hello, I changed the operating system on my HP laptop from Vista to Windows 7. I performed a back-up pior to the change. Once the change had completed I loaded microsoft office 2007 and clicked on outlook. unfortunately it started as a new install and I have now lost all my previous emails and do not now how to recover them. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

In Outlook click File > Data File Management. Click Add and select Office Outlook Personal Folders file, then click OK. Locate your old Outlook.pst file and make it the default. If your account name and passwaord are different on the new Windowws 7 installation, you may need to change the password on the outlook.pst file.

4. Stevii

Stevii Thread Starter

Hi Frank4d,thanks for your reply however I have tried this and all I can find is the current outlook pst, which is already set to default.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What form of backup did you make? Copied the files somewhere or an image file?

6. Stevii

Stevii Thread Starter

I used a portable hard drive (WD passport)

7. chronk

chronk

Stevii,

Make sure the backed up .pst files are not read only.

Right click your.pst > left click Properties

8. Stevii

Stevii Thread Starter

Chronk
    thanks however it wasn't read only. I think I can see the file in the old windows file that I believe is the backup, I just need to know how to use the file so as i can see my old emails.

Thanks for your help
    Stevii

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Try this article from Microsoft on managing PST files.

10. chronk

chronk

Stevii,

Perhaps Doublehelix will post a link later.

You should be able to access your E-Mail once you set it up.
    Once you can access your E-Mail - using your company's or Internet Services set up instructions, you can then access your old E-Mails through your .PST file.

If you are using Outlook through a managed server such as at work you may still have your old E-Mails, but if through ISP or other than an exchange server you will need to access your .PST file or files.
    With Outlook configured to access your E-Mail, you "should" be able to go to:

File > Open, and choose "Outlook Data File", navigate to your file - which you should copy to your hard drive.

By default you should copy it to
    "Your-profile-name" - Click the name at the top of your start button
    (Windows Sphere).

then click on > AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook
    If you don't see this location, you may need to click from within Windows Explorer -
    Tools > Folder Options > View
    uncheck "Do not show hidden files and folders", and anything hidden -
    note what you change, as you should go back and change them later - to as they were before.

You can open it from other locations - but you usually don't go messing around in your user profile so it is somewhat protected.) so that is a good place for it.

If you don't see the -Tools menu - in Windows Explore - Hold down the "alt" key on your keyboard, then you should see the Menu Bars.

Hope you can follow what I am posting here - if not perhaps Doublehelix will post his link to navigate .PST files - and that will be of more help.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you can see the old .pst file, you can use the import function of outlook to load all data in the file into outlook.

When I do a clean install of win7 and office, I backup the old .pst file then import it to the new install.

13. Stevii

Stevii Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, I have now resolved with your help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888898