1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Over-Clock evga geforce 6800 GS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acameron, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

The System

Case- Aspire X-Cruiser
    PSU - Aspire 500W
    MB - Gigabyte GA-8i915P Duo PCI-E
    CPU - Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz
    Memory - Corsair XMS DDR2 2x512 MB
    Graphics Card - eVGA GeForce 6800 GS 256 MB
    HDD - WD 120 GB SATA 7200 rpm
    Optical - Aopen 16x DVD+-RW

The Question

I downloaded and ran nvhardpage to open the hidden settings trees in nvidia control panel. in the clock frequency settings there are 3 options. 1) no overclock. 2) Auto over clock. 3) Manual Overclock.

In manual settings if i run the Detect Optimal Frequencies it changes the Core Clock form 425 MHz to 533 MHz and the Memory Clock from 1GHz to 1.21 GHz.

Would these be safe settings? From what I have been reading (at so many diff sites my head hurts :D ) they seem a little high. What does the detector go by to get these settings?

Also, how much of a difference does the Auto Overclock option make?

Since putting this system together with this card, XFX has come out with a 6800 XXX version oc'ed to 485 MHz and 1.1 GHz. still using the reference heatsinks and fans from Nvidia. The settings the control panel came up with for mine are quite a bit higher.

For what it is worth I do not have a pressing need to squeeze any more power out of this card (yet :D ) Just trying to figure out what I can do in the future if needed.

Thanks in advance.

2. acameron

acameron Thread Starter

Anyone???????

3. AvvY

AvvY

I too am curious for my Gigabyte 6800GS card.

4. GripS

GripS

My advice is if you can't afford to replace it, don't overclock it.

If the tool you are using is giving you stats that are too good to be true then they probably are.

Tips for overclocking. Move up in small increments. When you reach insability back it off in even smaller increments until stable. It's a lot of trial and error.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice