1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: over clocking my dell inspiron 1100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyred, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wyred

wyred Thread Starter

i've heard just a little about over clocking, but i have heard that dell 'locks' their bios, keeping one from overclocking the hard drive.

as it is, i have a 2.4gig processor, and certainly wouldn't mind bumping that up a little.

is this possible?

2. Cell

Cell

dell does lock their bios so i dont think it is possible my friend. i have read on a few forums that some companies such as sony have used oem mobos. if they do/did (not sure on the validity of this) you could get a bios update from that manufacturer.

3. wyred

wyred Thread Starter

figured as much, thanks anyways though.

btw, what the heck are mobos???

4. Cell

Cell

it is short for motherboard.

5. AvvY

AvvY

mobo = MotherBoard

Late,

6. wyred

wyred Thread Starter

of course... my bad

7. Cell

Cell

all good my friend

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

And if you could overclock it, you could not get rid of the extra heat (which is generated exponentially in many overclocks) in a lapop, so a failure would occur or if it can speedstep down it would.

Result would be negative in both cases.

9. wyred

wyred Thread Starter

I'd heard that as well, and as a result wouldn't have done much to it. I was going to get this fan pad that sites under it with 2 large, powerful fans to draw excess heat away. but, that probably still wouldn't have done it, eh?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You're pretty much asking for trouble. Also there is no way to do it with hardware or in the BIOS. You would need a software program to overclock the CPU in Windows.

Furthermore its the CPU, RAM, and Front Side Bus that you'd be overclocking not the hard drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325177