1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: overclocking cpu problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greed, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greed

greed Thread Starter

hey, i am strugling to get my cpu to overclock. i managed to do it a month ago but since then the motherboard became faulty and was replaced with an identical one. i have a conroexfire-esata2 mb and a pentium e6600 (2.4ghz x2) processor.

last time i set the bus speed to 300 (266 norm) and got up to 2.71ghz (x2) no prob (worked higher fine but decided not to push it too much). now for sum reason however, when i change the bus speed on the new motherboard, the computer restarts several times before returning to previous setings. I assumed the bus was too high so reduced it. still no luck. so i set it at the same as the auto value, 266, but manually. it still wont start. have i got to disable some feature? i can't remember what i did last time to get it to work. help please?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Start with a CMOS clear and try it again with a lower value. You CAN have 2 identical board/CPU/RAM sets and get more out of one than the other.

Have you checked your temps at idle stock to see where they are? You might have pushed them overboard when your vcore went up if you don't have a good thermal paste application

3. greed

greed Thread Starter

the problem is it wont run properly even when i run the auto value on manual input mode. if i turn it back to auto it works fine for some strange reason even though the bus speeds are exactly the same.

4. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

It's another setting in the BIOS that is conflicting with you setting it to manual. What board do you have now? When you set it to manual it also sets other things manual, like the DRAM and maybe voltages. Let us know what board you have it in now and we can be of more assistance.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's why you need to do a CMOS clear and start over. Loading defaults isn't the same as resetting the CMOS. (I've found that out myself the hard way).

If it doesn't boot at factory cleared settings, you either over-overclocked it or you have another issue. Find out what the real problem is before you do anything else.

6. greed

greed Thread Starter

the mb is:
    ASRock CONROEXFIRE-ESATA2 SKT775 945P PCI-E 7.1 channel audio ATX

i will do a cmos clear now. can you tell me how?

7. jackdw

jackdw

Look in your motherboard manual. It will show you where the needed jumpers are and what to do to clear it.

If all else fails, leave out the battery while you go out for the day.

8. greed

greed Thread Starter

ok i have reset the cmos. the only settings i have now changed are the date/time and the hardrive type from RAID to IDE (won't boot otherwise).

9. greed

greed Thread Starter

can anyone help?

10. greed

greed Thread Starter

bump

you guys told me to reset my mb and now i am stuck!

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

So it WILL boot now or not?

If so, is it stable?

What are your BIOS temps?

12. greed

greed Thread Starter

it will boot and is stable but not if i change the cpu speed to manual from auto. the temp is 50C for cpu and 45C for mb.

i need to know what settings aren't allowing me to increase the clock speed on cpu for some reason...

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Am I understanding correctly that if you change to CPU frequency to AUTO it becomes unstable? Should be the other way around...This is getting weird--like a motherboard problem.

I'm looking at your manual.. You're IN CPU Configuration, right?

14. greed

greed Thread Starter

no... its stable on auto and unstable on manual, even with the same clock speeds. and yes i'm in CPU config

15. greed

greed Thread Starter

any ideas?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice