1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Overclocking/System Life.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilb, Oct 16, 2009.

?

Overclock or Not?

1. Keep it Overclocked.(It won't damage your system)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clock it back to default (its not worth it)

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just got a intel core 2 stepped up from my pentium 4, i thought just to see if its defective or not i would overclock it (slightly) ive bin overclocking for around 5-6 years but i never knew what it did to the life span of a system i'd like my system to last around 3-4years, so what i wanted to know is how much faster will it die if i keep it overclocked.?:confused:
    Also my 3dmark06 score is up from 10564 to 11853 so i'd really like to keep this. and crysis warhead runs from 20-46 fps so yeah it works good.
    my whole system is overclocked 12% ram from 800mhz to 902mhz, cpu is from 2.66ghz to 3.08ghz volts are from 1.35 to 1.42v sooo how will this effect everything? I have uploaded a picture with all my volts temps, oh and my max 100% load my cpu runs at 37C and my graphics (after 1hr of crysis warhead) runs at 88C. so any help or insight would be very helpful thanks.:D (also could you vote on my poll? thanks i welcome anyones oppinion) But by all means post a comment! (|:-})

Attached Files:

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

More heat, more current maybe? Thats fine if you want power now, but if you want that system to last 4 years I wouldn't.

You'll likely kill the motherboard, or RAM before the CPU, but those are also the parts where the prices will be signifacantly higher in 2 years than now, as they become legacy.

You also affect the life of the CPU and PSU, though CPUs are hard to kill compared to everything else that can die.

3. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Sooo.....how long would it last? because i do agree with you its just that in 3 years all my parts wont even be able to boot the latest operating system.

4. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Also it'll effect it that much even though its a 12% increase?

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Impossible to say, you might have a bad batch that doesn't handle well, or a chipset that doesn't like the OC. It could be a drastic impact (6 months or less, though rarely) or it could last 5 years without issue.

Its a gamble, not a science. So you must ask yourself does the risk outweigh the gain?

6. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Yeah.........im not sure....for now im reverting to defaults i get around 15-35fps crysis warhead down from 21-46fps so i guess its no big deal.
    But since it might destroy my computer, i doubt i will ever overclock it again. Thanks for your help..

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have asked a question that does not have a definitive answer.

The very first rule of overclocking; Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

There is NO safe overclocking. In addition, you have voided any warranty you might have had by OCing the system.

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Keep it stock settings...its always nice to have a system that will throttle back and shut down in the event of a fan failure etc

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!