1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: P31 ES3G FSB OC limit.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilb, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Hi, Guys.

I was recently overclocking my cpu and i got it to 3.28ghz and i noticed that the fsb was 1640mhz and i read on my motherboard's spec sheet "Up to 1600mhz fsb OC":confused:, so what im wondering is what effect does this have on my motherboard:confused: so what im asking, is this number written in stone? is it a recommendation? or ...?:eek:

Idle Cpu temp = 16C

Prime95 1hr cpu temp = 52C (at max)

By the way if your wondering about specific computer specs i wrote them all into my profile.

Any Help would be nice guys ;)

Attached Files:

2. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

3. cybersloth

cybersloth

if that's your mobo, it's not exactly an overclockers board, have you checked the options in the BIOS to see if you can set the fsb above this figure, if so then it will do it. but you would probably loose too much stability, remember that it's not just the CPU that is being pushed it's the north bridge that feeds it too.

how are you overclocking, through the BIOS or through a program??

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It means that MSI has successfully tested these boards to overclock to 1600Mhz. That doesn't mean you can't go higher but thats as high as MSI is comfortable marketing their overclocking ability. I have my P35 chipset based motherboard running a FSB 1900Mhz with 1600Mhz also being listed the top FSB: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=LCK1LS8DWojB38IJ&templete=2 A lot of board advertise 1600Mhz FSB's to allow them to be used with Core 2 Extreme processors that utilizes a 1600Mhz FSB.

5. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

@cybersloth In my bios it lets me go to 700mhz fsb ie 2800mhz rated fsb, and i overclock only in the bios. as for stability i have no stability issues what so ever, and yeah its not exactly an overclocking board but for 40 bucks it does alright. One thing I'am having trouble with is when i exceed 1600mhz it doesnt boot out of standby but if i instead of standby i just shut it off everytime and boot normaly it works perfectly and lasts 2 hrs in prime95. it confuses me a little... do you have the same issue triple6?

6. cybersloth

cybersloth

that's a nice price, our exchange rate is nearly 1-1

ur temps are quite good, what kind of cooling are you using?

I think triple6 did a better job answering your q hey.

:)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's something referred to as the 'wall' in overclocking, that may be yours. I have zero stability issues at my current 475Mhz x 4 FSB but any higher and it will not even boot Windows.

In your case I would recommend you download HW Monitor and check your temps: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

8. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

To clerify it doesnt blue screen or overheat after 2hrs i just think why am i running this test when i could be gaming?..:)

9. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

I'm running 8x410mhz and only thing i cant do is standby and my idle in the bios is 22c and idle with PChealth (gigabyte program) is 18C and it never exceeds 52C while running prime95

10. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Im using a standard asus cooler sorry don't know much more about it its a 4500rpm (max) 35cfm fan its pretty standard, i also run a 12cm (pulling air in) case fan on the panel of my case 2 6cm 5000rpm exhaust fans on the back of my case, 1x 4500rpm led 8cm case fan up front (pulling air in).

11. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Also as for the northbridge i put a titan gpu/vga, cooler on it.

12. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

@triple6 also have a program called "coretemp" i never exceeded 54C on its charts either.

13. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

@cybersloth i bought a e6750 core 2 proccessor for 80 dollars and gigabyte p31 es3g for 40bucks and 2gbs of pny ram 1066mhz ddr2 for 34 dollars (freeshipping) and a powersupply 550watt retail plus and a gts250 BFG OC. all for 80 bucks plus 40 bucks plus 34 bucks plus 60 bucks plus 140 bucks, $354 dollars. then the fans cost me an extra 40. so 400 bucks all together. a friend gave me a case and everything else i needed including OS, Hardrive, Cddrive dvddrive a few fans, a Case and etc and me and my brother put it all together bingo. and i did this all about a year ago. so pretty good prices. and i later upgraded that hardrive to a wd cavier blue 500gb for 60 bucks.

14. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

By the way thanks for all the help guys.

15. lilb

lilb Thread Starter

Also triple6 i noticed that one of your harddrives is the exact one i use (WD Cavier Blue 500gb). I also have a WD 80gb and a "dont know what brand" 38gb. sorry for getting off topic.

Anyway i should probably mark this as solved. But if you have anymore advice or etc please post it.

@triple6 what are your idle and load temps on that cpu?

also i just overclocked mine to 3.33ghz with the same volts im going to test with prime95 soon.

and again thank you both for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!