1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Page numbering in Open Office.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Allan Murray, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allan Murray

Allan Murray Thread Starter

How do I get automatic consecutive page numbering in Open Office? Allan.

2. letchworth

letchworth

I use headers or footers so that it is basically unaffected by the flow of the text. Then click on the menu titled "Insert" and select "page number". There is also an option for "page count" as in much of my writing I want to know how close I am to the end--- so, something like "Page" <page number> " of " <page count>.

You can justify it any way you like/need, but I prefer right justification.

If you don't want to have page 1 numbered, see the Help file under the topic "page number"-- for me, I prefer the page number on all pages of personal documents.

Good luck
    letchworth

3. Allan Murray

I do not know why, but having followed all instruction, and all the help, I cannot get automatic consecutive numbering.
    "page numbering" gives me just one number on one page. Allan.

4. letchworth

letchworth

PS- [edited for additional info] Just for fun, go halfway down the page that currently has the page number on it that you recently added- go to Insert> Manual Break> Page Break. That should take you to a new page with the page number [presuming on bottom] one higher than the original page. [This way we are avoiding any complications in formatting].

Today's response:
    Just for clarification- you are doing it in a header or footer?? Since headers and footers appear on each page of a simple document.

The Help File says essentially what I said in my first reply:
    If that is not working for you- my first thought is that it might be a corruption of the install file. I would print out the instructions and follow each step carefully. If that still fails, I'd try downloading Oo_O again, delete you present program and install it from fresh download before panicking. [I have never had a problem numbering pages in the almost 10 years I have used Oo_O].

I wish you luck- and hope it is something simple
    letchworth

5. Allan Murray

I have uninstalled OpenOffice as suggested, and now I cannot get access to the OO website for a new download. I have tried with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I get the search list, and I have tried a few of the links. I just get the 'Oops' notice, and I cannot get any further. My connection is working perfectly for other sites. Do I just have to wait patiently without word processing, or can I do anything? Allan

6. letchworth

letchworth

Not sure what is happening, I just went to their site and began download immediately. Here is the address I used:
    http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice/free-open-office-download-yahoo.php?pk=4863

I loaded it on a laptop the other day and found they now use a 2 or 3 step process, and what you are actually downloading is an installer. The installer downloads the file as it proceeds.

Good luck with your new installation- hope it solves your problems
    letchworth

7. Allan Murray

Thank you. All OpenOffice links are now working. The site must have been down for a short time.
    Will download tomorrow, and let you know how I get on. Allan.

8. Allan Murray

I have downloaded OpenOffice and it works fine, except that I cannot get consecutive page numbering!
    I insert a footer, and with the cursor on the footer I right click and click on Page on the drop-down, and click Ok, as 1,2,3... are already entered. I then go to Insert - Fields - Page number, and I get "Page numbers" on a grey background: same on all footers. If I put th number 1 beside it, or delete "Page numbers" and put the number1, again I get the same number on all footers. What am I doing wrong? I do use footnotes extensively, Inserted using the Footnote facility. But these do not encroach on the footer. Allan.

9. Allan Murray

I have downloaded Open Office and it works fine, except that I cannot get consecutive page numbering!
    I make footer, put cursor on footer, right click and click Page on drop-down. As 1,2,3.. is already inserted, I click OK. I click on Insert - Field - Page number, and "Page numbers" on a greyed background appears on all footers. If I add the number 1, the same appears on all footers, if I delete "Page numbers" and type the number 1, the same number appears on all footers. I use Footnotes extensively in my work. They are inserted using the Insert - Footnote facility, and does not interfere with the footer.
    What am I doing wrong? Allan.

10. golddust

golddust

OpenOffice now has a new name and is being distributed by The Document Foundation. LibreOffice is its name now but it is the same program. Reason for name change has to do with SunMicrosystems (original distributor) takeover by Oracle. To make a long story short. Oracle isn't continuing the agreement for the Document Foundation to take over the suite after ten years that Sun agreed to do. So they had to change the name.

Download from : http://www.libreoffice.org/

11. golddust

golddust

http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenOfficeExtensions/List

These extensions will work in OpenOffice and LibreOffice. For page numbering look for Pagination. Download the extension, then bring it into the program using the Extension Manager under Tools. The extension will add "Page Numbering" to one of the menus (either Insert or Format - don't use it that often so don't remember where it is)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice