1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Page numbering in Word 2007... different numbering for Section 1 and Section

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by WebKat, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WebKat

WebKat Thread Starter

I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten... I need to have the numbers for Section 1 (title page, TOC, etc) be like i, ii, iii, etc... and then Section 2 (Chapter 1) needs to be page 1. Nothing I've tried is working, and I know this is simple, I've just forgotten how to do it! :( Thank you for your help!!

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi again Kat,
    Double click the footer on the first page and then drop down the Page Number arrow. Select Current Position and Plain Number. The drop it down again and select Format Page Number and change the start number to 1 and the number format to i, ii, iii. Does that help?

3. WebKat

WebKat Thread Starter

That added a second page number to the footer...

4. WendyM

Oh sorry, was there already a page number there? I had assumed it was blank. If there's an existing page number in the wrong format, then skip the first step and instead just format the page number. That should give you what you want for the first few pages. If it also changes all of the subsequent pages, let us know and I can explain how to make them be treated differently.

5. WebKat

WebKat Thread Starter

Well, that got the numbers to change, but she wants the page numbers in the main part of the book to be 1 | Title and when I removed the | Title from the Section 1 page numbers, it removed them from the whole document... :/

6. WendyM

Click in the footer for one of the pages that shows the title. At the top in the Navigation box, is "Link to Previous" highlighted? If so, click it to unlink the footers and then delete the title from the earlier pages.

7. WebKat

WebKat Thread Starter

Yay that did it! Thanks!

8. WendyM

Great! (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice