1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Page Numbers Word 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Shannon561, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shannon561

Shannon561 Thread Starter

I have a 3 page document. each page has a page break i need the first 2 pages to have in the footer, "page 1 of 2" and the third page needs to have "page i of i". i have tried so many different things and came close but still no success.

i can get it to work if i can add a page break with out adding an extra page.

So solving either will help me

2. Shannon561

"Page 1 of 2" for the first page and "page 2 of 2" for the second page and "page i of i" for the third. And just typing it in is not an option????? Thanks

3. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Shannon, welcome to TSG.

Between page 2 and 3, you need a section break instead of a page break. You can go to the Page Layout tab and then choose Breaks/Next Page under section breaks. Then when you insert your footer on page 3, make sure "Link to Previous" is not selected. After you insert your page number, go to Page Number/Format Page Number. You will have the option to change your formatting to i, ii, iii ... and you can tell it to start at i instead of continuing from the previous section. If you don't get the numbers you want, you CAN just type over them. For example, pages 1 and 2 might say page 1 of 3 and page 2 of 3. You can change the 3 to a 2 and it will change on both pages. The key to having the section break and unlinking the footers is that typing over the footer on page 3 won't change the footer on pages one and two. I hope that makes sense.

4. Shannon561

Thank you. Worked perfectly. Now I can hand my assignment in, life saver. Thank you

5. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Great, glad it worked! (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice