1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Paint Shop Pro 7 unable to display PNGs with alpha channel transparency in Wi

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Akril, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been using JASC's Paint Shop Pro 7 (version 7.00) and Animation Shop 3 (version 3.00) for years, and I just recently got an HP Pavillion dm4 laptop with Windows 7 (64 bit) installed on it. Both programs run fine in Windows 7, except for one noticeable problem: they don't display PNGs with alpha channel transparency properly.

If I create an image with a transparent background in either program and save it as a PNG (either by exporting it as a PNG or just saving it as one), the image always winds up with an opaque background. This isn't just a problem with the images' appearance, either -- if I open a PNG in PSP7, re-save it, then open it in another graphics program, it will be completely opaque, while the original image will appear transparent. I also encounter the same problem with PNGs I haven't created.

I've tried changing the compatibility mode of the programs, searching for updates, and posting for help on a forum specializing in Paint Shop Pro/Animation Shop help. So far, nothing has helped.

Any idea what's going on here?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Not all viewers show the transparency the same ... Many depend on a background color (opaque) to show the transparent area
    What Viewers are not showing the transparency ???
    I'd Trust Irfanview

Attached Files:

• AA.gif
      AA.gif
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I tried opening a PNG with alpha channel transparency in Irfanview, and it does display correctly. It seems like every graphics program I have displays PNGs properly except Paint Shop Pro 7 and Animation Shop 3, the two programs which I work with the most.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Paint Shop Pro 7 is a very OLD program and "PNG" format is one of the newer formats.
    I do NOT remember when Paint Shop had png support added to it.
    That may be your problem.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Do I see that PSP 9 or 12 is a Free Download ???
    You might want to upgrade .... But I'd suggest doing it right and get Adobe Elements 11
    Elements has ~~99.9% of the image editing tools found in Photoshop for about 10% of the price

6. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I just got a reply from the other forum I was posting on. It turns out that all I needed to do to solve this problem was to download a patch for PSP7 (which I'd already tried, but the patch I downloaded apparently wasn't compatible with Windows 7 -- this new one was). Both Paint Shop Pro 7 and Animation Shop 3 are handling PNGs without any problems now.

Still, thank you both for your suggestions. Perhaps I will have to upgrade to PSP9 one of these days.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice