Solved: Paintshop Pro 8 opening a whole new program instead of making a new window

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Giltrap

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway...

My paintshop pro 8 opens a whole new instance of itself instead of just making a window inside the program. So, say I want to access 6 photo's, 6 instances of paintshop pro will start instead of just one instance with 6 pictures.

How can I make it only load 1 instance instead of for every picture I want to look at?

If what I have said is unclear, I can clarify. I don't think I explained very well...

Giltrap

buck52

Banned
Once you have opened PSP how are you accessing the other pictures?
File>open ?

Giltrap

When I open them within the program, the pictures stay within the program, I just want to be able to click on a few of my pictures in "my pictures" and have them all open in the same fashion.

I have set it to Open With-> PSP8 although I had to manually find the program in the depths of my harddrive to put it onto the Open With thing. I think the problem lies somwhere here...

Giltrap

PSP X doesn’t do that on my computer. If I have PSP open and “Open with” PSP for a new file in Windows Explorer it opens a new window within PSP rather than open a new PSP. I have no idea why yours is working the way it is.

Even if you could get PSP to work the way mine does it is a poor option for viewing photos. Each image you have open gobbles RAM and you eventually slow the computer to a crawl when it starts using virtual memory. And PSP takes too long to open for my use as a viewer.

Give the freeware Irfanview a try. When you install it select “Images only” for the associations. Once you open an image in Irfanview you can scroll through the entire folder with the scroll wheel. Or hit the “Enter” key to get full screen and you can use the left/right buttons to scroll. Or just hit the “T” key and you will get thumbnails of the entire folder, which you can double click to see individual images. Irfanview opens almost immediately.

If there is an image you want to work on in PSP just assign that as the Irfanview external editor. You can open any image you are viewing in Irfanview to PSP with File > Open with external editor. Or just Shift + E.

If you install Irfanview also install the free plug-ins. www.irfanview.com

Irfanview will open duplicates if you keep selecting images from Windows Explorer. But there isn’t any reason to do that once you get one open. The thumbnail navigator lets you look in any folder on the computer. Or you can tell it to display sub-folders and make thumbs of every image on your computer. It is a much better viewer than either PSP or Photoshop. It opens fast and doesn’t gobble RAM.

Giltrap

It seems to have fixed itself.

I'm not sure why, or how, but I *think* it's because I changed paint back to the default, and I'm opening it differently.

Sorry about the massive lack of response.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online