Solved: Panther - Change Startup Device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NitroNic

Take a deep breath...

I work in a corporate environment... so we have stuff significantly more secured than a home user would typically have.

I have a question about changing startup devices on Mac OS 10.3.9 (Panther). We have set Open Firmware security mode to "command," which (as far as I understand it) prevents a user from changing boot arguments, so pressing certain key combinations at startup to boot to an alternative device will do nothing.

We ran some software from Coriolis Systems, iDefrag, and booted to CD. This was acheived by specifying the startup device from the OS (requiring admin authentication). But this apparently is a permenant change. So now that I booted to a CD, I'm stuck booting to a CD, because key combos at startup won't change the boot device, and I can't boot to the OS to change the boot device (do I smell a parodox?).

Is there perhaps some utility from the Mac OS Installation CD that will allow me to boot from the CD, and then somehow authenticate to an account that's on the system's normal Boot volume, and then change the boot device? Or possibly a jumper that can be moved physically inside the case to reset the Open Firmware?

Thanks for reading my novel, and any help is much appreciated.

Nic

Yes, the Installation disk has a "Startup Disk" program (in one of the menus) where you can choose the appropriate disk to boot from.

NitroNic

VegasACF said:
But only by you or an admin.
Thanks. It took me a bit to figure out how... I've never marked one solved before, I was assuming only admins could.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online