1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Panther - Change Startup Device

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by NitroNic, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NitroNic

NitroNic Thread Starter

Take a deep breath...

I work in a corporate environment... so we have stuff significantly more secured than a home user would typically have.

I have a question about changing startup devices on Mac OS 10.3.9 (Panther). We have set Open Firmware security mode to "command," which (as far as I understand it) prevents a user from changing boot arguments, so pressing certain key combinations at startup to boot to an alternative device will do nothing.

We ran some software from Coriolis Systems, iDefrag, and booted to CD. This was acheived by specifying the startup device from the OS (requiring admin authentication). But this apparently is a permenant change. So now that I booted to a CD, I'm stuck booting to a CD, because key combos at startup won't change the boot device, and I can't boot to the OS to change the boot device (do I smell a parodox?).

Is there perhaps some utility from the Mac OS Installation CD that will allow me to boot from the CD, and then somehow authenticate to an account that's on the system's normal Boot volume, and then change the boot device? Or possibly a jumper that can be moved physically inside the case to reset the Open Firmware?

Thanks for reading my novel, and any help is much appreciated.

Nic

2. ThreeDee912

ThreeDee912

Yes, the Installation disk has a "Startup Disk" program (in one of the menus) where you can choose the appropriate disk to boot from.

3. NitroNic

NitroNic Thread Starter

Ok, that worked, thanks.

This one can be marked "Solved."

4. VegasACF

VegasACF

But only by you or an admin.

5. NitroNic

NitroNic Thread Starter

Thanks. It took me a bit to figure out how... I've never marked one solved before, I was assuming only admins could.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice