1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Paper Goes Through Printer, but won't print.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WWOWWWA, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows Vista. I have also been successfully using an HP Photosmart B209a "all in one" printer with a wireless connection. I began getting low ink messages, so installed new HP cartridges. When I try to align the new cartridges, I get a message that says the alignment failed, but I can still use the printer. However, when I try to print any document I have generated on my computer, the printer picks up the paper and goes through the machinations of printing, but when it spits out the paper, it is blank. When I print a test page, it works. When I print a page from a website, it works. It will copy a document. It simply won't print anything I generate using my word processor or spreadsheet (I use Microsoft Works).

HP's Monitor program says that the computer is ready.

I have used HP Solutions Center, but nothing it suggests has made any difference. I have checked my wireless connection and it is working, obviously, or the printer wouldn't be getting the message to print, as it surely is, since it starts, picks up the paper and goes through the whole process of printing. However, nothing comes out except a blank piece of paper.

Hope you can help.

2. raybro

raybro

Pretty basic question, but have you looked at print preview of a document before trying to print?

3. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Raybro,

Absolutely and it looks fine. Just kicks out a blank page after appearing to go through all the steps of printing. Thanks for your response.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Reinstall the printer and drivers. Your test page would have been done via the printer's board, not computer.

*edit* i noticed you can print from a web page.... try printing a 3 line text file in Notepad. If you can print from that, then the problem is with Works.

5. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried printing using notepad and it did not print. I think I might have a defective printhead. Can buy a replacement from HP, but will first try reinstalling the printers and drivers.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    you said you can print from a web page. Did it have any black in it?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If it willprint the test page properly or print properly from a webpage, then It is doubtfull that the print head is the problem. I would more go with Drivers. If the printer has the capability to connect via USB instead of wireless, I would give that a try also.

8. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Black prints, but very faintly - more gray than black. Colors seem to print well.

9. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Thanks. My plan is to give that a try before I do anything else. Guests coming for a couple of days so I may not get to it right away, but will post the outcome when I do.

10. raybro

raybro

Sounds possible you have a clogged or a defective black ink cartridge. Any HP printer I've seen has a cartridge cleaning cycle you can run. Have you done so?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Not sure if your test page was color but I agree sounds like your printhead/nozzle needs cleaning. Otherwise get a new printer... the printhead costs about the same retail price.

12. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Have not tried the cleaning cycle, but will do so before I give up. I HAVE put entirely new cartridges in, swapped them back a forth a couple of times with the same result whichever cartridges I was using. Thanks for your suggestion.

13. Firebreather

Firebreather

Yes, first try cleaning the cartridges.... And there's something that worked for me, not recommended though (aka, try at your own risk).... Remove the cartridges first. Take a tissue paper and just press moderately on the nozzle and then remove it. Repeat if necessary... Replace the cartridge.
    Also check if you are printing in the draft mode.

14. WWOWWWA

WWOWWWA Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I've tried every one of them, but still my printer will print color, but not black. I think I'll just print everything in color until I use up the cartridges I currently have (except the black ones, of course), then buy a new printer. I've had good luck in the past with HP printers, but this one is less than two years old and hasn't been used much during that time. Don't know what I'll buy next.

15. Firebreather

Firebreather

Hey! You haven't been using your printer lately, that means probably the ink has dried up..... Instead of buying a new printer, why don't you just try a new cartridge (or lending from someone, if possible :p )....
    That may just work....
    And, if possible, can you try that printer on another machine?

You may buy a new printer if you please, but personally, I don't like wasting money :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice