1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Paragon Drive Backup 9.5 Free

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buf, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Hardly know where to begin. I used Paragon Drive Backup 9.5 Free, started it up and let it backup my windows 7 with all my installed apps on it. Something went wrong or else I did something wrong. Now, I only have the drive this software created and my C: drive with windows 7 on it is apparently gone!! Can't find it anywhere and not even a sign of it. Am stuck with the backup made by Paragon. :mad: Now my drive C: is this *&&^# Paragon backup and only 160GB free out of 193GB. Where has my 500GB Hitachi HD gone. Oh I know it is still in my computer but it does not show in the Computer icon on my desktop. What confounds this even more is I only had an Acronis Home 11 image file saved on an external HD that is a March image. Afraid I know what you may say about this---nothing to do but re-install. I surely hope someone has a better plan than that. As usual, TIA.
    BTW, after the fact but I now learn that my version of Acronis does not support Windows 7. I am using an ISO CD I burned some time ago and that is the way I accessed my Acronis backups on the the external HD. Help--please. That ISO CD may just let me continue using the Acronis version I now have and until I can buy the 2010 version.

2. buf

buf Thread Starter

I know one of the mods is a user of Paragon software, especially the free ones, like me. Is he around these parts??

3. godofnoobs

godofnoobs

I just recently restored my win 7 from a backup, C:/ was re-created and boots fine.
    but same thing: other drives were missing from my computer. so added device letters from control panel. Now works fine.
    But I suspect Paragon backup recreates used/free spaces as they were at the time of backup.

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

buf......Win7 has in its Backup and Recovery, an option to do a system image ( same as a drive image)
    I haven't had to do a restore yet ( new computer) but the process was dead simple making a restore image of the existing system.

Once you get straightened out....you might check it out.
    I see no reason to buy Acronis for Win7.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

godofnoobs, thank for your reply. Gotta say I don't really understand the steps you took but you succeeded in restoring. Where did you store the backup of your hard drive--USB and an external hard drive or ....?? I will be anxiously waiting for your info.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Stoner many thanks for your suggestion. I will check out the win7 backup free offering. I have used Acronis for years and never had anything like this to happen. This was the first time trying the Paragon free backup.

7. godofnoobs

godofnoobs

I store my backups on other partition (other than C:\) on the same hard disk. Simply selected that backup, reboot, restore, reboot.

Upon endless system restores I have done, I have learned 2 things:

1. Hard disk editing software should always be used as a bootable CD, and not installed on the drive you are editing. So no files are locked (due to OS running) when editing HDD's , and CD's are best for worst case scenario. ;)

2. On restore, WIN 7 will not be aware of all Partitions you created AFTER the backup. So in case you don't see a partition that was there:

In start menu type "partition" , from search results, select "create and format hard disk", It shows all partitions windows can sense, right click that partition, select "change drive letter and path" , click add, select your favorite drive letter, OK. Now it will be mounted and visible in My Computer.

But I have found paragon software is always with flaws :mad:. I now use Acronis True Image.

Two Bootable CD's , one with Acronis True image (free version) and other with Partition wizard (freeware). That's all for 90% of Disk editing you ever need.

8. buf

buf Thread Starter

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I use Paragon a lot and have Drive Backup on a couple machines. I guess what I don't understand is what changes it made to your machine. Did you create the special boot partition that can be used for recovery?

You can't really make many changes to the partitions on new machines since they have that hidden recovery partition and an MBR that is non-standard. Maybe you should make a copy of Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image), boot it up, and start the partition editor on the desktop so you can see the real, present state of your partitions, hidden and otherwise. Paragon may not have been able to read the manufacturer's MBR or see the hidden partition. Windows can't generally see it, either (at least not the EISA partition).

I usually find that the best way of dealing with these is to make an image of the whole drive, hidden partitions and all, from the boot CD, when you first get the machine. Then, I remove the recovery partition completely and add the space to the OS partition. Make another image of that state. Then you have a backup of the current state of the machine as well as one of the way it was when it came, just in case you want to restore that before selling it, or something.

PS. It makes no sense to store backups on the same drive. Drive failure is likely to be one of the main reasons you would need the backup. But I do occasionally make both, on laptops for example, so I don't have to carry the external travelling and still have a backup option in case.

10. buf

buf Thread Starter

Elvandil, I thought it was you who uses SW from Paragon!! This has and still is a nightmare-- I do not recall asking for a partition to be created when I tried the backup and neither do I recall ever having a separate partition on any hard drive I have even had.(Perhaps it is time to start consider using one). Well, maybe a partition was created several years ago when I dual booted two OSes but never on the same drive. Your ending comment is exactly that which I have always been "taught" not to do. I save all of my backups to an external hd. Used to use CDs long ago.
    Win7 was pre-installed on this Compaq when I bought it in August of last year. After I removed the crapware, I used Acronis 11 and backed up the hd and then later, in March, I did 2 more backups. Using the ISO CD, I have been able to see those backups on my external hd. I do not recall ever using any Recovery Partition and still have it on my Hitachi 500GB hd. Of course, as you may know, once any SW installed from giveawayfreetoday is removed for whatever reason , it is gone forever. That is what happened to me because of all this mess.

11. buf

buf Thread Starter

It has been a week now since this problem first began. I am kinda tired of it and I strongly think I will restore my March 12, 2010 Acronis image backup and go forward from there. Doing this may cause me to remember and then find and install those apps that I really want. Not being able to do this latter part, I will just have to accept what is in the backup. Does anyone see a problem with that? I genuinely appreciate all of you who tried to help me through this ordeal.
    I'll post back with my successes, if any.

12. buf

buf Thread Starter

Just got some good luck. Just now ordered Acronis Home 2010 for 1/5th the price off the shelf at stores. Of course, this is after a rebate of $20 and a reduced price of $20. I'll get this baby backed up next week with this newer version after, of course, I restore the 3-12-10 backup
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ex-_-SecurityUtilitiesSoftware-_-32200012-L0G
    Sale is for next 48 hours.
    Will hold off on trying the free Windows 7 Backup for now. Hate to get burned so soon after this fiasco with Paragon. Thanks for your suggestion Stoner.

13. buf

buf Thread Starter

Still can't restore either of my backups because the computer will not boot. I have never run a System Recovery. I can get to that option when I boot and see the screen giving me several other options; like BIOS, Startup to enter setup. What can I expect to happen if I choose the System Recovery. I understand it will restore the computer back to the day it came from the factory. And further, I am assuming that I could then use one of my image backups I had made with Acronis. Anyone done this before?? Hope so!!
    EDIT: Just tried to enter System Recover on the Compaq and even clicking on F11(recovery) it would not bootup. If HP had sent me the OS installations CD, I could use it to Repair the OS. Well they didn't!!! They have their reasons for not doing that but I, and others, have our reasons for wanting one. Spent 2 hours Saturday night with the Philippines support and they promised to call me during certain hours today---they didn't call me. Later today I called HP support again and this time spoke with India. They gave me some excuse that included PCTools were not working right and therefore of no value. Got a promise from them that I would be called later today---haven't heard from them either. Guess I am just stuck with a HP Compaq that is of no use. Only had it for 8 months and Staples would not take it in for repair. Now I really feel pained. I don't think they have heard the last from me. Even bought an extended warranty from Staples when I bought the PC. I have hope they will honor their warranty, if it comes to bringing that into the picture.

14. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi buf......I see you are still having problems.
    Have you tried restoring the Acronis image?

I just recently bought a Compaq that appears similar to yours in it's configuration.
    A .....CQ5320 F.

Have you booted up that Acronis rescue CD yet?
    Try it and see how many partitions are recognized by Acronis.

There are three on mine. A System partition that is hidden, C: and then D: which contains the restore.
    If there is no restore partition, the letter changed or the partition empty..... F11 isn't going to work.
    If your Acronis image that you saved has that 'restore file' on it's own ~10 gig partition, try restoring it and then using F11.

I am assuming the methods of a factory restore are the same between yours and mine as they are close models.
    You'd be wise to double check that.

This is how my drive is partitioned:
    ( ignore the Toshiba...it's a flash drive)

[​IMG]

15. buf

buf Thread Starter

I feel like a librarian---I have read so much these past few days. India did call me back today and I have been on the phone with HP Tech Support all day, it seems. I had to have been holding the phone for hours or so it seems while talking and taking their instructions. Last night I remembered burning 3 DVD disks when I first got my PC. I had forgotten doing that. I had them ready while talking to India and am using them now and have been on the 2nd disk for about 3 hours already. I recall being told that the full recovery efforts may take as many as 6 hours---maybe 8!!!. Will let you know what happens when I get the hoped for successful boot up. Of course, my hard drive is being wiped clean and so I will have to begin all over with installing my apps; etc. but I do have on the external hard drive backups.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice