1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Paragon Partition Manager free download still working.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DCM1519, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I have downloaded Paragon Drive Copy and Paragon Exact Image recently under their free offers found elsewhere on this forum. They are both excellent products and I have now replaced Ghost and Acronis with Exact Image. Will be using Drive Copy too but not needed as often.

Today, found a link to get a free copy of their Partition Manager and went there right away. It was supposed to have expired earlier this year (April 2006) but I got a registration number right away with no problem. Hope this one is as good as their other software. It installed and runs with no problems

Link follows;

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/freedownloads2/index

2. Sponsor

3. coachdan32

coachdan32

I would be interested in knowing how it does. Would you mind posting back your findings of whether it does a good job or not?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I tried it, but never saw a registration number come back.

*** EDIT *** Actually, it just got caught in my SPAM trap, I did get a key. :)

5. coachdan32

coachdan32

How does it compare to Partition Magic for reliability/stability?

6. JohnWill

Haven't installed it yet, and obviously any such evaluation will take some time. :)

7. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

So far, all I have done is resize a partition. Made it smaller and it showed free space after the drive. Data did not seem to be effected by this change. Then went back and made it larger again to use up the free space. Again, no data problems.

Interface is very similar to Partition Magic 8.

Downside so far is that it did not recognize any of my four external USB 2.0 hard drives. They are formatted FAT32 while the internal drives are NTFS. Partition Magic shows all drives including the externals.

This is their 2005 version so maybe a newer version would recognize those drives or maybe there is something in setup that would help. Will try again later.

If nothing else, it is free and for those with no external drives, the price is right. Many times, I have seen requests for free partition managers. This might fill that need. If I did not already have Partition Magic, I would be satisfied with this program.

It runs smoothly and fast.

8. ebony

ebony

I downloaded Partition Manager with the hope it could create partitions on my 150 GIG drive but as far as I can see it only works with existing drives by redistributing or making them bigger or smaller. It does not create new partitions which partition magic does.

9. JohnWill

You can create new partitions with Windows Disk Management.

10. ebony

ebony

Windows Disk Management can create new partitions only when installing windows after formatting the drive. It cannot partition a drive with Windows installed.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

Disk Management can create partitions as long as there is unallocated space on the drive, or if you delete existing partitions(but not the system partition). Otherwise you need to resize your current partition with something like Paragon and then create a new partition(s) in the unallocated space.

12. JohnWill

Sure it can. :rolleyes: The thing that Windows can't do is resize partitions or move them.

13. ebony

ebony

Say you have a 100 gig drive with Windows installed on it. Call it drive "c". Can Disk Management partition this drive so Windows is on "c" drive now 20 gigs and "d" drive 50 gigs and "E" drive 30 gigs. If it can why buy Partition Magic to do the job?

14. JohnWill

Read what I said, not what you think I said. :rolleyes: If you use a 3rd party application to RESIZE that boot partition and leave unallocated space on the drive, Windows Disk Management can create a partition there. Also, if you simply allocated a primary partition of say 30gigs and installed Windows on a larger drive, you can come back later with Disk Management and create one or more partitions with no 3rd party software.

I could get into Dynamic Volumes where Windows can resize them, but I don't recommend anyone use them unless they have a need.

15. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Eric

Hmm, guess it's not free anymore. I just tried to get it and the download won't work. Oh well. :(

16. Lene'

Lene'

I was directed here for my problem. Went to the site. The offer expired YESTERDAY!
    As usual, I'm a day late! Geez, now what?!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512996