1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Parallel Port additional device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raygdw, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

I have a laptop with 1 parallel port which is used for my printer. I have now installed a scanner with a parallel port. How do I get the computer to recognise a new device on the parallel port? I have tried Add New Hardware.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi raygdw, welcome to TSG.

Do you have the scanner hooked up directly to the parallel port?
    Have you installed the scanner software yet?

3. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

I have installed the scanner software and I unpluged my printer and plugged in the scanner. Thanks for your interest. I hope you can solve my problem

4. ~Candy~

Alright, so, I'm assuming you have turned on the scanner first....then restarted the computer (which version are you running) and the computer isn't finding any new hardware?

5. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

I am using windows 98.
    Yes I did turn off and re-start the computer and you are correct it is not recognising the scanner.
    The scanner is an Epson GT5000
    On installing there is a "test" facility. I clicked it. The scanner came to life but nothing appeared on the screen. It seems the computer can not locate the scanner.

6. ~Candy~

The test feature that you are speaking of....without me researching the scanner directly...is this an exterior button that you push? Or are you controlling this thru the software? What error message are you receiving?

In the control panel, system, device manager, is the scanner showing up under imaging device?

What software was installed?

7. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

The test facility is software controlled and part of the installation process. No error message just nothing happens. The software was the instalation software supplied with the scanner. (Now second-hand but previously worked 100% with win 98 on the computer belongingto the person who gave me the scanner)
    Yes it does show under imaging devices

8. ~Candy~

Ok, when you say nothing happens, you are referring to no image being displayed? Before you said the scanner goes thru its normal routine? Does it make its usual happy noise, the light comes on, it acts as if it is scanning? Do you have something on the glass to scan (sorry if that's a silly question, but trust me, it has happened).

9. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Hi I've taken over from Ray correspondance re: the scanner. Thanks for your help.

oops, correction to previous post, there is no "imaging device" option in the devices listed under device manager.

the scanner makes happy noise, lights etc when it is turned on, and also when the pc boots, but does nothing at all when attempt to scan. Then I finnally get the error message scanner not turned on.

Yes there is an image on the scanner :)

Richard

10. ~Candy~

Does anything show up under 'other' devices? Anything with an exclamation mark or red x?

And what happens if you go to the control panel, add hardware and choose imaging device?

Also, is there an icon in the control panel for scanners and/or cameras?

11. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

no "other devices" option under device manager.
    Nothing else with a red cross or !
    No icon for scanners and or digital cameras (is this all wierd?)

I've tried install new hardward under imaging devices. The only drivers in the default list are KOdak camera ones. When I browse to find a file on the suppliers driver cd it doesn't work. even though there is an epsonscan.inf file, I just get the error message "the location doesn't contain information about you hardware".

richard

12. ~Candy~

Ok, do this, make sure the scanner is connected securely to the computer and to the back of the scanner....reboot the computer with the scanner on.....now re-install the scanner software.....

And, by the way, you have the scanner 'unlocked' if there is a button on the back or side of the scanner for this????

13. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Is your printer an Epson?

14. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

the printer's an HP.

The scanner should be unlocked as I have removed transportation screw and stored in appropriate hole. No other locking switches.

Tried the reboot and reinstall but to no avail.

Have noticed that the notebook's LPT prt can be configured as a printer or external FDD port. It has been as a printer set to ECP, have just tried changing to bi-directional and rebooting. Now there are more happy noises from the scanner when boot or sleep/wake, but no additional results when try to scan. Have reinstalled scanner software again but still nothing:(

richard

15. ~Candy~

Keep it set to bi-directional.

Did you install the software before or after you changed this setting????

Also, double check to be sure you've got the cable on the back of the scanner connected to the right 'in' connector....just in case there are two choices.

I can't find any info on that model number, are you sure that is correct?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice