1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Parallel port needed on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ziggy587, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

So I've been keeping around an older PC that has a parallel port with XP Pro on it. I use the parallel port in EPP mode for a Willem universal EPROM programmer and a proprietary programmer for a flash cart. This old PC is getting to be slow compared to my main PC and laptop (which have an i7 and i3 CPU respectively). It would be nice if I could replace this old PC with my laptop, but the laptop lacks a parallel port.

I was looking at those USB-parallel adapters, they seem to only be for printers. I haven't seen any that can function as anything but a virtual printer port. Then I found out that there are some ExpressCard parallel port cards. After reading, most of them can only be used for printers. But I did find some that say otherwise, like this one on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=expresscard_parallel-_-39-158-026-_-Product

Says in the details that it supports EPP mode but a reviewer said, "Doesn't offer a regular (DOS) LPT port. Doesn't use standard LTP1/2/3 interrupt and port addresses so its not usable to interface to a device that requires them. It didn't work with my universal chip programmer." Now there's a chance that this reviewer didn't have it configured correctly, but then there's a chance that I just wont be able to use my programmers with it. $66 is a steep price to pay only to find out it doesn't work.

There are a lot of these ExpressCard parallel adapters on eBay for a lot less money, but I have no idea whether they would work for my needs or not. Has any one had any experience with this? I would very much like to ditch my old PC in favor of my laptop. Are there any other type of adapter that would get me a parallel port on my laptop? I would need something that is compatible with Win7 64-bit.

Also, I'm not too fimiliar with these ExpressCard slots. My laptop has an ExpressCard/54 slot but I read that it can also accept ExpressCard/34 cards. Is this true? I've never used an ExpressCard before.

Thanks for any help on the matter!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Some laptops have 'docking stations' with extra connectors, often a parallel port is included.

What laptop is it ?

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

It's an HP Pavilion dv6-2150us. It has a port called "expansion port 3" which I believe is used for docking stations and port replicators. I'm not seeing any products for it that have a parallel port though. Maybe my Google Fu is poor, I've been told that before.

4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

I looked around for compatible docking stations and port replicators for my laptop. It seems that none of them have a parallel port. The only docking stations I was able to find with parallel ports on them were for older laptops and not compatible with mine.

Does any one know of a product I can use? At this point I might have to risk getting one of those ExpressCard and crossing my fingers.

5. K7M

K7M

I use a Targus pa090 (they have other models as well) port replicator. I don't know if it will work in your application or not. i use it with a printer and a vinyl cutter with no problems.

6. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I took a look at it, seems nice, but haven't found any info on the parallel port (other than it HAS one). I guess it would be the same risk as as the ExpressCard adapters I've found.

Does any one know if there's such thing as a docking station that has a PCI or PCIe slot? If that exists, I suppose I could get a PCI parallel card for it and that should work.

7. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

I've actually decided to upgrade my parallel devices and ditch the need for a parallel port. After weighing through everything, I think it's the best choice for my situation. I thank every one for their input, it's always much appreciated.

However, for any one finding this thread in a Google, I would like to post a link to this product:

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/expresscard_parallel.php

I was told that this would work great, and it functions exactly like a computer's native parallel port would. However, it's a little expensive, so I decided to upgrade my programmers instead. This company, Quatech, makes a lot of other similar cards, so they might be worth a bookmark.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice