1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: parental lock in cable motorola cable internet modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sabiasabeen, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabiasabeen

sabiasabeen Thread Starter

hi everone,
    I have motorola SB5101 cable modem provided by my ISP.i have windows 7 on corei5. My problem is that my modem suddenly stops working after 6.oo in the evening. If i restart the modem, it works for 5 minutes and then again stops working. It doesnt start functioning properly till the time my cousin uses his laptop so i believe there is some kind of parental lock set by him in the modem . please advice what should I do. I am in urgent need of internet as i have an important project to do.
    P.S. Please dont advice to take help from my cousin as he is mischievous and plays such pranks so that i get less marks in my class.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Motorola SB5101 cable modem is just a modem and has no such controls. Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser's address bar to see the info available. Perhaps there will be something useful in the Logs.

Any programmed blocking of internet access would be in the router if you have one or on your computer.

3. sabiasabeen

yes I have a router attached to it which is D-link 524. But removing the router doesn't help either. So u mean this is a problem from ISP side ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the modem loses connection then it is a problem with the ISP or the modem. And if the ISP owns the modem then it is their problem.

5. sabiasabeen

so you mean to say that there is no parental lock on modem or router ? There is nothing what my cousin has done ?
    Is it possible that somebody changes the MAC address, so that it doesnt work properly. All the lights on the modem glow. the PC activity light which normally blinks also stays stable or blinks at very low rate

6. sabiasabeen

so you mean to say that there is no parental lock on modem or router ? There is nothing what my cousin has done ?
    Is it possible that somebody changes the MAC address, so that it doesnt work properly. All the lights on the modem glow. the PC activity light which normally blinks also stays stable or blinks at very low rate

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I said there's not on the modem. I said nothing about the router. Pretty sure it has MAC Address filtering but no parental lock feature per se.

You implied that the router is not the cause: "But removing the router doesn't help either."

8. sabiasabeen

I have a motorola cable internet modem provided by my ISP SB5101 series surfboard cablemodem which is then connected to D-link 524 router. I am using windows 7 on core i5.
    My problem is that my internet suddenly stops working after 6.00 pm in the evening and doesnt work till 9.00 am next morning. when we turn it off and then turn it on, it works for 5 minutes and then stops working (in 6-9 time zone). the wifi works fine. there is no problem with signal distribution. we have tried to remove the router but still the internet doesnt work in this timezone. please help.

P.S. : it may be a network problem, but i have a feeling that my cousin does something (just a feeling, not sure )

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Who is the owner and administrator of the router? If you can log in to it look to see if MAC Address filtering is being used.

Do you have an administrative type user account on the Windows 7 PC? If so, look to see if any parental controls have been set.

10. sabiasabeen

i have the administrator rights on router and pc. Please advice what should I do ?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Log in to the router and look to see if MAC Address filtering is being used.

Look on your PC to see if any parental controls have been set. (Control Panel - View by small icons - Parental Controls)

12. sabiasabeen

how to log on to the router ?please advice ?

13. sabiasabeen

I found the IP address of the router. it asks for user name and password. Is the password same for logging in which is used to access the wifi ? if yes, then I have the password. how to find the username ?

14. sabiasabeen

there are no parental controls on the PC.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For details on logging into the router consult the user guide--on CD or on D-Link's web site.

If the "D-link 524" is like the D-Link DI-524 the default user name is Admin and the default password is null (blank). If you set them to something else I have no idea of to what.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!