1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Partial Connectivity Loss, Intermittent

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lexeagle, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Based on what I saw in other posts, I first posted this in the security forum, but have gotten the "all clear" there. While I'm thrilled that there are no viruses or other malware, my problem remains. If you want to see the discussion from my other thread, you can view it here
    http://forums.techguy.org/printthread.php?t=396551:

My original post:

I am connected via a DLink Router to a cable modem.

Recently I started losing a partial connection to the internet. Web pages will not load, but instant messengers will still work.

The symptoms are very similar to that posted by DarkWyz in this post http://forums.techguy.org/t396059.html.

I also have a Vonage VoIp phone, connected to the same router. It continues to work even when web pages will not.

Like DarkWyz, I regain connectivity by rebooting, repairing the network connection, and/or releasing and renewing the DHCP.

In troubleshooting, I have connected direcly to the cable modem and this problem does not occur. I restored the router to factory defaults, and set it up as if for the first time. No help.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi lexeagle,

One thing I noticed in the other posts was the infected Dummy.class Java thingy that got onto your system.

On my system, having been infected by such things in the past, I now disable the Java cache - you can tighten up your security if you also do this:
    run javaws.exe and when the window comes up, click on the Cache tab and disable caching.

-- Tom

3. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Thanks Tom... I had already fixed that, and it unfortunately does not appear to be related.

4. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Any more suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm getting nothing but the run around from the "No-support" centers...

As you might expect, the three involved (cable provider, pc support, and d-link) all blame each other. If only I could tell them they all suck and go elsewhere. <sigh>

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Just from the brief reading my blame would mostly lie on the router... If the PC functions fine with the router off and then you put the router on and the PC acts up It doesn't sound like theres much dispute as to the cause of this problem.... Have you tried a firmware update for your router? Have you asked D-Link for a replacement router? or for them to have this one tested? Maybe the NAT firewall's on the fritz and some ports aren't being affected I.E. the Voip ports and the IM ports while others are say port 80 for webbrowsing.

6. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

I have tried a firmware update.

Normally, I would tend to agree with your assessment, but I have my doubts right now.
    What I haven't said (in efforts to keep it simple) is that I just moved. Unfortunately when I did, I had to switch cable providers. I never had this issue prior to the move, so I'm not sure whether the router went haywire in the move or there's some sort of conflict with the new cable company or modem and the router.

Is there any testing that I can perform?

Thanks again

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I think the biggest test is removing the router from the equation (which you said it all worked fine) short of actual router diagnostics by professionals I don't know of any router "testing" equipment out there as far as for the soho broadband routers.

8. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Yes, it does work fine when I remove the router.

The problem is that I'm not confident that it means the router is defective, as I wonder about some type of conflict between the router and the modem/cable. I guess I will try to find someone to try using the router in another environment...

If anyone has ever seen this type of issue before, please let me know...

Thanks

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well tell us the make and model of the router and the cablemodem. I have had problems setting up a router on a cablemodem but usually its been due to my not being familiar with the ISP and it has been no connectivity at all NOT intermittent connectivity.

10. Sealclubber

Sealclubber

correct me if i'm wrong, but if you remove the router and the problem clears up doesn't that mean that the problem is indeed the router however way you look at it?

if you have another machine try plugging that into the router (if it isn't already) and see if the problem still occurs, then at least you can isolate it to either the computer or the router.

11. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Router: D-Link DI524
    Modem: Coresma MQK110
    Cable Provider: Mediaworks

---
    The problem could indeed be the router, but I'm not ready to conclude that there is a hardware problem until I can rule out as many issues as possible. Obviously, I want to avoid an unnecessary repair expense.

I don't think (though I could be wrong) that the fact that a direct pc to modem connection works indicates the router is defective.

The same computer and router were in use previously. The only change was the provider and modem. That's why I wonder if the modem has some issues with networking and/or communication with the router...

Does that make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

12. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Just an update on this one... After updating my router's firmware (again), at the suggestion of D-Link, the problem continues.

At this point, I seem to have stumped both my ISP and D-Link tech support!

One thing that seems odd to me is the result of ipconfig. I understand all of this except the weird ip address that is listed after the subnet mask. What is that?

If anyone has any idea what is going on here, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

---
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myspeedworks.com
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::211:43ff:fe5e:2e84%6
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myspeedworks.com
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.101%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

13. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Just a summary:

Connection: D-Link DI-524 router, via ethernet
    ISP: Mediaworks Cable
    Modem: Coresma Nemo MQK110
    Operating System: Win XP

Problem: Lose connectivity in browser only. Web pages will not load, I get the standard "The page cannot be displayed message." This happens with both IE and Firefox. Vonage (VoIP service) still works, as well as instant messengers.

Correction: Release and renew DHCP, repair network connection, and/or power cycle of modem and router.

Action taken: Ran Hijack this, Spybot, Adaware, and online virus scans. Nothing unusual. Updated firmware on router. Restored factory defaults. Removed all network connections from computer & readded.

14. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You running IPv6. that believe it or not is an IP address just a 128 bit address and not the standard 32 bit address. This allows for ALOT more clients on each connection due to the increase in numbers allow in 128 bit.

Read here if you want more explination - http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2005/051605techupdate.html

Also I see nothing in D-Links information about supporting IPv6 with this Router.... This could easily be the source of your problem. I'ld search for what may have installed IPv6 and remove it and see if the problem disappears.

15. lexeagle

lexeagle Thread Starter

Wow... OK.

You might be onto something here. How do I find out what installed it? How do I remove it? Is it possible that it is related to the ISP? If so, that could explain why this problem began when I moved and was forced to switch to a new cable provider...

Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice