Solved: Partion problem with Kubuntu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
First off I wasn't really sure where to post this under so if this isn't the best place maybe a moderator could move it.

I have aproblem with removing a partition on a flash drive. I tried installing Kubuntu on a PNY 4G flash drive and it failed for some reason, leaving me with a section that wasn't assigned a drive letter. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I can't format the whole drive because Windows requires drive letters. I can't even access it through DOS. I can see that it is there using the Disk Management feature but I can't delete, add drive letter, or anything. It is only a small portion (226mb) but I still would like to have it accessable.

I would appreciate any help with this matter!
I also have limited internet access so I may be late in responding.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
Well I can't run it because I am running Windows. The download is a bz2 file extension. And I don't think I can install it into a live CD. Are there any other partitioning programs?

TerryNet

Terry
A few clicks reveal an .iso and .zip. :)

There are other partitioning programs; that's just the one I am a little familiar with.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
I will try it thanks. I tried partition logic but I only get a blue screen (not the BSOD) when I boot from the CD

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
Yeah didn't work. Do you think it would work if I tried to format it to a windows readable format through the live CD?

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
The partition problem didn't work is what I meant, should have been more specific. It wouldn't boot from the CD. I can't format it or even do anything with it in Vista, and I can't find a live CD for Ubuntu.

TerryNet

Terry
Did you simply copy/burn the .iso to the CD or did you use something like ISO Recorder?

If by "find" you mean find somebody who already has a live CD, I can't help unless you want to drive about 70 miles to Ottawa, but you can download or order Ubuntu here.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
No I used the program infrrecorder to do it. I know it works because I have made friends copies of program (Legal ones)

Well I had one but I think it got accidently thrown away, or gaven away. I have ordered a CD from their site. Now I just have to wait 4-6 weeks.

TerryNet

Terry
Copies of programs and burning data to CD/DVD are one thing. Burning a bootable .iso is another. Even Windows XP can do the former. To create a bootable disk from an .iso you need an application that does that.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
Yes I know, I have used this option to create alot of OS disks. I am not sure why it didn't work but I will just wait 'til I get the Live CD. Thank you for your help!!

You are from Eureka? I have family that lives there. Very small world, eh?

Try reburning it a second time. If it doesn't work, I'll help you figure it out.

Diver--13

It's My Birthday!
I just got my live CD in the mail but thanks anyways for the offer. I fixed it in about 5 minutes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online