1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Partition expansion

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tomween1, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomween1

Tomween1 Thread Starter

On 1 hdd I have three partitions. My main drive is C. I have a partition I cleared out and formatted. I want to add the clean partition to the C partition. How do I do this in Windows 7? Or do I need an outside source for this?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. antech

antech Banned

You need to delete the partition in order to Expand the Existing partition..
    Theres no choice.
    Sorry Mumbodog if I sound Wrong

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Depends on the software you use. I use Acronis (not free), it can pull free space from another partition to expand a different partition.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Starting with Windows Vista you had the ability with Disk management to extend partitions with unused free space on a drive. So in theory you need to delete the "clean" partition you just made and then extend the partition that you want more space on with Disk Management.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

: -)

7. Squashman

Without theories we would never come to any conclusions! :D

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I'm thinking, with Vista, everything is a theory!

9. Tomween1

Tomween1 Thread Starter

Thanks guys but all theroy;s aside, this is what I'm stuck with. If i right clock on the C drive Extend volume is there but not an option I can use. The partition that had Ubuntu on it won't let me do anything to it, AT ALL!

I did format it after removing Ubuntu but now it won't allow any further options in fact I assigning a letter and got this warning: The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up, to date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer. Further, if I try to format the disk again I get: An unexpected error has occurred. Check the system event log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk management or restart.I have tried to preform both suggested tasks several times to no avail.

Another note to take heed of is, during boot up the system still shows a dual boot option. One is Win 7 and the other is Ubuntu. I tried clicking on Ubuntu to see what was there and it wants me to insert the Windows disk to fix the problem. This step is much the same as if I were to put the Win disk in and boot from there. I would have the same option in repair.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My understanding of your situation is based partially on your provided information and partially on my guesses. I think that you have 3 partitions--the first has Windows 7 installed and is the active or boot partition, the 2nd is empty and has been formatted to some unknown format, and we know nothing about the 3rd. You want to make the first partition larger.

If that is correct I think almost all needed information has been given. Delete the 2nd partition, as you probably don't have a partition manager that will extract free space from a partition. If the Windows 7 Disk Management won't delete the 2nd partition and then extend/resize the 1st partition to include some of all the unallocated space use Easeus Partition Master.

The additional information is that you can boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD and repair the boot manager.

11. Squashman

Show me a screen shot of disk management.

12. Tomween1

Tomween1 Thread Starter

Actually there are 5 partitions. Somehow D is first, it's empty. 2ond C, main boot partition. 3 was Ubuntu, 4 is empty created in error and the 5th was created my Windows as a buffer 100kb. I started w/ C and D on this HDD, had the problem w/ ubuntu installing itself on this HDD and the rest is history. Regarding the Win DVD where do I find the boot manager on the disk? Did I mis that in the Repair section?

13. Tomween1

Tomween1 Thread Starter

Can you give me a quick reply on how I do that?

Thanks, Tom

14. Squashman

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!