Solved: Partition? XP Boot Problem (HP)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

madchick

I have a hard drive that came out of an HP pavilion xt963 (mobo/bioschip failure) I am trying to install in another computer Compaq Presario. The drive itself is not wanting to boot but I'm unsure of the problem.

If I let it try to boot it goes to safe mode menu. If I choose Safe mode it starts to load and locks up on c:\windows\system32\whatever... first it was agpsys.. (I no longer can remember the name). I disabled this in recovery console booting from xp cd. It locked on the next file. I disabled it again. Still locks on whatever the last file is before loading safe mode.

If I try to load normally or last known good configuration then it locks and nothing ever happens.

I tried using the HP restore cd's but they will not work.
I can boot to an xp home cd. I don't want to reload for 2 reasons. #1 Won't I get the error that it cannot load from xp cd due to the HP restore feature? #2 I will, of course, lose all data...not that its worth anything right now...

If I press F10 on boot to try to get to restore I get the message
couldn't open drive multi (0) disk(0)rdisk
NTLDR couldn't open drive multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition (1)

drive is setup as follows:
_:\ EISA utilities 4511 mb (827 mb free)
C:\ partition 2 (HP_pavilion) NTFS 33643 mb
unpartitioned space 8 mb

Any suggestions would be GREAT!!!

The drive, if not supplied with drivers for the Compaq, will need, at minimum, Compaq drivers. It may be easiest to reinstall XP and supply as needed the Compaq drivers during the installation (for e.g. should be easy to use the restore disk that came with the Compaq).

madchick

Arky said:
The drive, if not supplied with drivers for the Compaq, will need, at minimum, Compaq drivers. It may be easiest to reinstall XP and supply as needed the Compaq drivers during the installation (for e.g. should be easy to use the restore disk that came with the Compaq).
Other drives will work in this compaq with little to no trouble with drivers so I'm assuming this problem is specific to this drive although can't be 100% sure.

I don't have any orginal drivers for the compaq because it was a donated PC w/ hard drive removed (it had xp on it).

As far as reinstall goes, what's the chances of HP saying, "nope--you have to load this drive using the recovery..." Could I say, delete the EISA Utilities partion to resolve this?

Nevertheless, as stated, that drive already had an operating system on it. In that situation, some drives will boot and some won't, depending on what machine they came from and the similarity of the mainboard chipsets.

In a case where a drive containing an operating system will not boot, it is almost always due to driver incompatibility. The solutions are to run a repair installation (if available) or to format and reinstall.

madchick

Elvandil said:
Nevertheless, as stated, that drive already had an operating system on it. In that situation, some drives will boot and some won't, depending on what machine they came from and the similarity of the mainboard chipsets.

In a case where a drive containing an operating system will not boot, it is almost always due to driver incompatibility. The solutions are to run a repair installation (if available) or to format and reinstall.
Are you suggesting the only option available is to re-install?

If I use XP cd --and it fails on the install because of HP Recovery partition...then where am I? I'll have a drive that no longer has data on it. :confused:

madchick

madchick said:

If I use XP cd --and it fails on the install because of HP Recovery partition...then where am I? I'll have a drive that no longer has data on it. :confused:
I ended up reformatting the hard drive and I wish I hadn't b''cuz it did not fix it. I put in another hard drive and the computer worked fine. So the problem lies somewhere within the hard drive itself but I'm throwing it in the test bin until I can/or not run across a fix.

did you delete the partitions? ( FDISK) because you can delete all the partitions on your hard drive ( including the HP Recovery Partition) then repartition (preferably with an 98 ME startup disk), shut OFF your computer completely, to activate the partition then reboot with the diskette, start with cd rom support at the prompt type
A:/ format c: then hit enter, yes, it will format and you should be able to carry out a clean install. it might reformat to NTFS file system.

madchick said:

A repair installation, which would redetect your hardware and make the OS adapt to the new system without losing any of the contents of the drive, would have been my suggestion.

If it has an OEM installation for a different HP computer, then of course it will not work at all on your machine. And you can't repair it. All you can do is, as already suggested, remove all partitions, including and especially the HP partition, create new ones, and install an OS.

You won't get a drive from an HP to work on a Compaq with all the OEM stuff installed. All you can do is clean it off.

There are quite a few hard drive tests available by searching---some good ones for free.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online