Solved: Partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbailey18

Would like to know is it possiable to run your operating system in one partition and your downloaded utility programs such as spy cleaners and such and maybe a printer in another partition ?

:)

dbailey18

Thank's Bill
Sorry I was so anal but I would still like some kind of an answer .
If you could come down to talk to me . (y)

dbailey18 said:
Thank's Bill
Sorry I was so anal but I would still like some kind of an answer .
If you could come down to talk to me . (y)
dbailey18 said:
Would like to know is it possiable to run your operating system in one partition and your downloaded utility programs such as spy cleaners and such and maybe a printer in another partition ?
What answer are you looking for?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see no reason to move small utilities like you mentioned … out of your C: partition.
However – I place all my storage stuff in another partition and don’t use My Documents because it’s in the C: partition.
This keeps the operating system in C: small - which makes it easy to maintain, quick to defrag, scan for Malware - and it just seems to run faster.

An additional advantage …
If you use a backup program like Acronis True Image – The recovery Image for your operating system is small and quick to recover your system with. You can even place this recovery image in your extra storage partition – but an external HD is more secure.
So – I prefer to have anything relating to the operation of my System … in the C: drive.
One Quick recovery fixes all ... in my C: Operating system.

dbailey18

Well Bill, Noyb is telling me what I am actually wanting to do. My hard drive on the older system I have has only a 15GB drive running with windows 98SE and an Pentium II wich is not a whole lot to work with but I manage since my better half runs our newer system .What I'm wanting to do is get as much off and out of the operating system and move the utility programs along with the printer into a different partition and reinstall 98se in a clean environment and maybe a third small partition for storage.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
From what you’ve described – I have serious doubts about a third Partition.
And even a second partition bothers me a little.
I’m thinking this will require some partitioning software – and unless you already have it….
It might not be worth the expense - but it would be fun to play with.

Do you have, or have you thought about, an external Hard Drive to support and backup both of your computers ?
In today’s dangerous/risky computer world – I couldn’t live without mine.

dbailey18

Noyb-
Thanks for the info but what I'm trying to say is will the small utilities be able to preform their functions on my operating system as far as scanning and monitoring as their supposed to ? I would like to keep the operating system separate from these in case I need to reinstall it I won't have to reinstall the utilities also. I would like to keep most of my self installed program files separate in another partition if they will preform their duties from there. I guess I could keep copies if I need to in another partition if that is possible. I know this may sound off the wall but I'm still in the learning stage and having a ball doing it and any help I receive from this forum is great . Let's say I'm given the opportunity to have some fun and I going to run with it . Oh yea I do have some Partitioning software and I was able to buy it for the price of a magazine.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've never tried to place an operating program or utility in another partition.
The ones you mentioned seem small enough to just include it the C: system drive.
How much space is occupied by your C: drive now ?? or how much empty space do you have ?

I'm not sure if you placed these utilities in another partition - then restored the OS - that it would know these utilities were there ... without reinstalling them.

ANYONE KNOW ????

dbailey18

Your probably right Noyb but I might give it a try and see what happen's . My c drive is at 4GB out of the 15. It would seem to me that the utility programs just might not be able to read across the partition and vise versa ? Of course what do I know I hope some one will give us a head's up on this little adventure . Thanks for all the advice Noyb I will hang on a little longer maybe some one will give me a good swift kick !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online