1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Partitioning a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jitenkm, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jitenkm

jitenkm Thread Starter

i have a 250 GB drive on which my OS is installed ..
    i yesterday bought another 250 GB drive which i want to use as an internal hard disk -- i want to make 3 partitions on this -there would be only data on this disk -I DONT intend to use this for OS

I want to know if i should create primary partition/logical/extended - what are the differencespros and cons between the three ??

2. Megabite

Megabite

I would make 3 logical partitions........Primary is used if you want to put an operating System on it......An extended partition is a primary partition which contains secondary partition(s A hard disk may contain only one extended partition; which can then be sub-divided into logical drives

3. jitenkm

jitenkm Thread Starter

thanks Megabite - if for some reason i need to install OS on this new HDD ,will i have to convert one of the logical partitions to primary ??

4. Megabite

Megabite

In that case you can make it a one Primary partition and the other 2 logical

5. jitenkm

jitenkm Thread Starter

Megabite -you didn't get me - if i make 3 logical partitions now -
    at a later time if i have a problem with my original HDD and have to install OS on this new HDD - can i install windows on the logical partition or i ll have to convert one of the partitions back to primary & how to do it - i have licensed copy of Acronis Disk director which i think may be able to do so

6. Megabite

Megabite

Yes you can do that.......but you will have to remove all the data on it first

7. jitenkm

jitenkm Thread Starter

Thanks a ton Megabite

8. Megabite

Megabite

No prob....:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice