Solved: Partitioning a new hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jitenkm

i have a 250 GB drive on which my OS is installed ..
i yesterday bought another 250 GB drive which i want to use as an internal hard disk -- i want to make 3 partitions on this -there would be only data on this disk -I DONT intend to use this for OS

I want to know if i should create primary partition/logical/extended - what are the differencespros and cons between the three ??

I would make 3 logical partitions........Primary is used if you want to put an operating System on it......An extended partition is a primary partition which contains secondary partition(s A hard disk may contain only one extended partition; which can then be sub-divided into logical drives

jitenkm

thanks Megabite - if for some reason i need to install OS on this new HDD ,will i have to convert one of the logical partitions to primary ??

In that case you can make it a one Primary partition and the other 2 logical

jitenkm

Megabite -you didn't get me - if i make 3 logical partitions now -
at a later time if i have a problem with my original HDD and have to install OS on this new HDD - can i install windows on the logical partition or i ll have to convert one of the partitions back to primary & how to do it - i have licensed copy of Acronis Disk director which i think may be able to do so

Yes you can do that.......but you will have to remove all the data on it first

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online