Solved: partitions not seen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rainforest123

This may belong in hardware, but I think it is a Windows issue.

1 computer setup for removable hard disk drives [ HDD ]. HDDs are in racks, masters. CD-RWs are slaves.

HDDs are each Western Digital 80 GB, IDE, internal. HDDs are jumpered as "master with slave present".

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 is partitioned 14.65 GB, 20.51 GB & 39.37 GB

Win XP is partitioned 19 GB, 3 GB, 51 GB.

When I have the XP HDD as primary master [ & Win 2000 as 2ndary master ] in Windows, the partitions do not appear in "my computer". Disk management

When I hve the Win 2000 HDD as primary master [ & Win XP as 2ndary master ] in Windows, the partitions for each HDD appear in "my computer" & "disk management".

In Disk Management, the primary & 2ndary master drives are listed as "basic" and "online", no matter which drive is set as primary master.

The CD-RW drives & FDD appear, no matter which drive is set as primary master.

I used Partition Magic to adjust the Win 2000 partitions.

Go Back [ latest ] is installed on Win 2000 HDD.

There are no other software differences.

Yes, since you have asked, the drives appear during POST. In Device Manager, there are no red nor yellow marks. Each drive appears under "disk drives".

As far as I know, this problem has been existence since I built the computer.

Thanks for your consideration of my problem.

B123

I'm a little confused here. "Primary master" and "secondary master" refer to the PHYSICAL setup on your IDE channels. Are you actually changing the IDE setup in order to determine which OS will boot? If so, you're going to a lot more trouble than you need to.

Does Disk Management see the disks in Win XP?

rainforest123

AGC:
Yes, I understand the physical relationship between primary master & 2ndary master. Yes, my computer has removeable racks. I have separate HDDs for separate OSs.

This is the product I use for my HDDs. http://www.vipower.com/product/MobileRack/3fan_mobile_rack/vp_70/vp_7010ls3fu.htm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "changing the IDE setup". If I want to boot to Windows 2000, I put that disk in the rack connected to the IDE primary master ribbon cable. If I want to boot to Windows XP, I put that disk in the rack connected to the IDE primary master ribbon cable. If I want to boot to Windows 98 SE, I put that disk in the rack connected to the IDE primary master ribbon cable.

When I have the Win XP HDD connected to the primary master & the Win 2000 HDD connected to the 2ndary master, Disk Mangement recognizes the Win 2000 drive as Disk 1, a "Basic" disk, with 2 partitions. No drive letters are assigned. In "my computer" the partitions do NOT appear for the Win 2000 HDD.

I apologize that I did not make that clear, in my initial posting.

Thanks for your reply, AGC.

B123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online