1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alogen, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

Hello!I somehow ended up with 186 G size of C: from 209 G.Actually the Hard drive size is up to 230 G,which means I messed up .It probably happened when I removed RestoreIt Pro.It creates a safe place on the hard drive for backup points,but when i removed it the space remained.It should have merged back with the rest of C: or am I wrong?Prior to that whole situation I had a quite large allocated space,about the same size as this free space,which I deleted thinking this would give me the desired effect.:rolleyes: Silly me .So the allocated space has doubled.I'm using Win XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2.I tried to resize the partition C: with Partition Magic 8 but it says:"Cannot resize.There are no primary or logical partitions on this drive." :confused: This would mean there is nothing on my PC??So I formatted the allocated space creating an H :,then tried to merge the two,but it said that the NTFS version numbers don't match so I cannot do it.The H: is 3.1 and C: is 0.0.Huh???.When I click on C: and select/click " properties "it gives me the message;" Error#4444."When I click it again and select/ click "check for errors " it says;"Error #993.Partition contains open files.Use the operating system check utility.":confused: I need the extra space.I need every G of it.:p .How to access it?I don't want to reinstall the whole system from scratch nor do I want to loose the data on my PC.To merge,reintegrate,that is my wish.How to gain back 40 G of wasted space on my hard drive?Thanks for any help.And yes,I 'm pretty new with all this PC stuff so forgive my ignorance :D

2. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

Bump!

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Is the partition magic a legal version?

What version is it?

4. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

Hello! It's version 8.0(Build 1242) 9/16/2002.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Is it a legal version?

6. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

I got it from a torrent site..so i guess not...but it should still work...I know it's not fair to the people who make these applications for a living ..I would gladly pay for them but I just can't spare the money since it's in very short supply...I hope I am still worthy of a reply to my problem...if I knew of any good free software for managing partitions...I would prefer it to illegal ones...any suggestions?

7. Lance1

Lance1

Do not expect help with a problem the ill-gotten software has caused to your system for TSG.

8. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

The problem wasn't caused by this software i.e Partition Magic,I got it to resolve the problem...and it was a rash decision..the problem is not really a problem it's just a waste of space ,over 40 G of my hard drive is wasted ,not accessible...there is no problem with my system ,it works fine..I just want to have complete access to all available space.Sorry if I stepped on any toes,my intentions were not evil...

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It does not matter Partition Magic can cause some really nasty problems especially illegal versions actually it does not matter whether it is illegal or not except that for the illegal version it is difficult causing a problem that you can not call their tech support and their tech support has some fixes that nobody else has.

Plese read the TSG Rules:

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

10. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

O.K.I removed it from my PC.I hope now I am with in the rules of this site...it's like I said ;the so called problem was not caused by Partition Magic. I have over 40G of allocated space on my hard drive ...the size of my hard drive is about 230 G..it's a big waste of space....what is the best way to utilize it?Do I create a new partition and merge it with C: or what?And if so which free software is ,if there is any,best for this job or for managing hard drive in general? Please help.I do apologize for breaking the rules of this site.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would use XP's Disk Management (Start > Run type DISKMGMT.MSC press Enter) to format the unallocated space as a new partition.
    Merging partitions, even with Partition Magic, can be unreliable.

12. Alogen

Alogen Thread Starter

O.k.I banged my head against the wall a little bit harder and it cracked!..the wall,that is...so the problem is solved...thanks for the replies,they were helpful although not directly,but they helped me crack the wall ...I guess the discussion on any given topic gets the brain juices flowing...Cheers!

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks for your report on this thread, we don't remove them, but, it certainly should have been closed earlier.

Please review the forum rules prior to posting again.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice