1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pass Protect Folders

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Kanden, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kanden

Kanden Thread Starter

I have some folders that have information that I would like to protect, but the comp wont let me encrypt them. I looked onling and followed the instructions below:
    Right click folder>Properties>General>Advanced>Encrypt
    but for some reason the encrypt option is greyed out and I cannot click on it even when the compress folder option is not checked.
    Can anyone help me? I am getting extremely frusterated.:(

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows Encrypted File System (EFS) does not password-protect files and folders. If you managed to enable that feature and encrypt them that way, you would have to back up your encryption key otherwise you will completely lose access to them if you backed them up and restored them on another computer. EFS is a terrible thing to use for a home user. Most people lose all their encrypted files that way eventually.

Use TrueCrypt instead. Create an encrypted container, and move the files there.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are using Windows Home Premium, the encryption option is greyed out because Home Premium doesnt support encryption. Only Professional and Ultimate support it.

4. Kanden

Kanden Thread Starter

Thanks. Is truecrypt free and reliable? Would rather not have to pay but need to be able to encrypt...

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, it's free and reliable. I use it to encrypt all my drives and files.

6. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

TrueCrypt is a very respected program and is highly recommended.

7. Kanden

Kanden Thread Starter

Thanks for the help:) looks like i'll be going with truecrypt.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061856