1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pass the PC

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RookieTech, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RookieTech

RookieTech Thread Starter

I recently bought a new PC for myself. I'd like to give my old one to my children. However, I don't know how to clean the system so it could be like new again for them. All of the posts that I have sent in the past are in regards to the old system. It has issues with spy-ware, I'm having trouble removing unnecessary programs from my MSCONFIG, and I'd like to make sure that the PC is 100% child-safe when I hand it over to them. It still runs extremely slow and I'm not sure what to keep and what to get rid of. I could really use some input.

P.S. I was told to try Pac Man Mortal in the past, but found it very hard to follow. I could use some foolproof instructions.:confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The best way to do what you want is to to completely format and reinstall Windows. This will remove any personal, malisous, and unnecessary data or programs from the computer. It will also speed the computer up to the state when you first got it.

If you format it the only thing it will have is Windows on it, no Office or other programs unless you wish to install them. You'll also need to install the drivers for all the hardware devices in the computer after installing Windows.

What version of the Windows 9X family do you have on the computer and is it a brand name liek Compaq or HP?

3. RookieTech

RookieTech Thread Starter

I have Windows98 for an OS. However I don't have it backed up to even try to reinstall it again. The PC is manufactured by IBM. It was given to me by a friend and I don't have any paperwork or software for it. It might even be considered a little out of date. I'd love to upgrade my OS to a version of WindowsNT that I've been holding on to for months. But I'm afraid that my system may be to old to handle it. What can you make of all this?

4. rugrat

rugrat

Download AIDA32 and post the results here after running the program. It will give us enough system information to help you.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php

Once we know what you have, we can help.

SeeYa

5. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi RookieTech,

You have another good option available to you, simple, and you don't have to worry about finding your system disks. Restore the registry to it's original 'first boot' settings or take the system.1st and merge into your current settings.

If you choose to restore the registry to it's original 'first boot' it will clear all the excess settings & programs from your registry, all the junk on your computer you don't want, all new programs added since the day the computer was first booted, similar to a clean install. You will lose recent programs and anything new, but you'll have a super clean, tuned machine.

The other idea is interesting too. You make a copy of the system.1st file (your original registry settings at first boot) and then merge it with your current registry. Instead of resetting and wiping out all your current settings, Windows will keep your current program information, so it's a blend of the two ideas,

If it were me, I'd restore to original first boot, when it reboots, it will be a brand new machine like the day you bought it,

If you go this route you must have your 'product key code' available in case it's asked for or something goes wrong and then it's asked for. You can find your product key by searching the registry:

Go to Start / Run / Regedit,
    Now navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion

Highlight 'current version' in the left pane and look for 'ProductKey' in the right pane, it will be a string of 25 numbers and letters. Write it down on paper, save.

System.1st Registry Restore
    Restart in DOS. Start / Shutdown / Restart in MS DOS Mode

type the following commands and hit enter after each:

CD WINDOWS
    ATTRIB -S -H -R SYSTEM.DAT
    REN SYSTEM.DAT SYSTEM.OLD
    CD\ ATTRIB -S -H -R SYSTEM.1ST
    COPY SYSTEM.1ST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DAT
    ATTRIB +S +H +R SYSTEM.1ST
    CD WINDOWS
    ATTRIB +S +H +R SYSTEM.DAT
    CTRL + ALT + DEL (Reboot)

Merging System.1st and Current Settings
    From the DOS prompt C:\windows
    CD\
    ATTRIB SYSTEM.1ST -S -H -R
    SMARTDRV
    REGEDIT /L:C:\SYSTEM.1ST /E MY REG
    REGEDIT MY.REG.

REBOOT, either ctrl alt del, or shutdown, then start pc,

Machine will have 'like new' performance,

If you were going to try this, you could try the merge first and see if you like it, that would give you the option to still try the 'original system.1st restore' too, if you wanted more cleanup.

As with all computers, the commands don't always work the way their suppose to, be prepared to write down any error messages you might get for further support. And most important, absolutely do not continue with any of the commands if your getting any 'error messages', come back to the forum first,

:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice