1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Password Prob

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by 4steve44, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

Ok. 2 problems :mad: I have this system I put Fedora Core on and set myself up as user, but it have been so long since I have used it I cannot remember the Username/password :mad: Can antone here help me with that? Also once that is figured out how do I format the hard drive using Fedora? :confused:

2. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

I just want to get rid of fedora and go back to XP. This Fedora sucks. I have to wave the cursur around the screen just to get things to come up :eek:

3. tsunam

tsunam

when the bootmanager starts up, edit it and add the word single to the end of the kernel boot line. that will let you change all the passwords.

As far as formatting fedora, just boot up windows and reformat it if you don't want fedora on the system. If you just want to format it for some unknown reason then once you are in the system you can do a fdisk /dev/hda (assiming its ide not scsi etc) then just delete/recreate that drive.

4. 4steve44

4steve44 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but I wish I could just boot up to windows. I put the install disk in and it starts fine by coming up and saying something like "Inspecting sytems hardware configuration" then that goes away and the darn thing just sits there stupid. The CD-ROM light goes steady as well as the HD light. I can let it sit there all day and nothing happens. So that is why I need to know how to format the darn thing while using Fedora Core 3. Thanks for all your help :D

5. robert2513

robert2513

Hello there.

I have a laptop that I installed Fedora on with Windows XP. Back when I was first installing it, I removed it several times because of problems that I was having with it. Since then, both Fedora and Windows and myself have lived happily ever after. :rolleyes:

Anyway, onto your question. When I removed Fedora, I would delete the partition, with Partition Magic, and then replace the MBR by downloading a bootdisk from BootDisk.com and running the command fdisk /mbr.

There are several alternatives to Partition Magic: a quick search on Google yielded several results.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=partition+magic+alternative&btnG=Google+Search

Hope this helps. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Robert2513

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice