1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Patch panel and unmanaged switch question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by squeezin, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

Hi, i plan on upgrading a patch panel and network switch to go gigabit for a friend at a new workplace...so i bought a cat6 patch panel and netgear cat6 switch.
    The punching is no biggie...but im not quite sure about the actual cableing between the panel and switch.

Please note there is only one patch and one switch...nohing to cross connect.

1. Should the data line coming from the T1 router be put in the first or last port on the switch or it doesnt matter?....dont think it should now a days?

2. is there any issue with connecting a computer / wireless router / or any other network device directly to the switch.... instead of punching it to the patch panel first and then patching it to the switch? ...dont think so but id rather ask first...not familiar with actually making the connections between patch and switch.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The port on the switch doesn't matter for the incoming line, though I'd think it would be going through a gateway of some kind before the switch.

The patch panel is simply a convenience, so bypassing it for some devices won't make any difference functionally.

3. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

Gotcha Johnwill....i did say T1 router didnt I...:rolleyes: That would be the gateway :p

Yeah he said he had a "T1 router box" installed by the provider the other day....so im assuming he's talking about the gateway.

Basically plug n play i guess huh.

thanks (y)

4. JohnWill

Should be PnP, you'll know after you plug and it does or doesn't play. :D

5. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

ha...good to go and PnP....a little ISP internal IP adjustment but all should go good from here....6 hours later....WTF:confused:

Seems there's complications now a days understanding internal "non-public" static IP.....:rolleyes:

Maybe its just me or my wording.....no classes er books, just TSG, other online resources and a "lil" dabble of hands on experience.....but i would think "internal non-public IP" should be easily understood... Probably me. :eek:

anyways, TY JohnWill

You are a straight forward, networking Guru !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

6. JohnWill

[​IMG]

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

7. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

but but but...i want you to do it for me :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!