1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Patition not found after win xp reload

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gundiravi, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gundiravi

gundiravi Thread Starter

I have three partitions on my hard disk(C,D,E). As my system crashed I have reloaded win xp after formatting C drive with NTFS quick format. after windows booted I found only two partitions C & D but another partition of about 60 gb is missing. Then through diskmgmt.msc I found one more drive which is inactive and made it active and tried to name it as "E" which was not accepted so I named it as H drive.But I could not access the partition as the file system is shown as raw and I am prompted to format the partition.
    As I have important data on the partition I can not format it. Kindly let me know how I can retrieve the partition and my data on it? (I think I have a fat32 on C drive earlier).

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

A golden rule with computing is to always keep back ups of your important data on an external hard drive or CD/DVD's especially when reinstalling an OS.

Try this: Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

As the drive is showing as RAW the data may already be lost, but this might also help: Easus data recovery

When you look in Disc Management does the partition show as having any data on it in the top pane?

3. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

http://magicpartitionrecovery.en.softonic.com/

Seems like you might need to restore the partition you formatted. You can do this with some software, the link above should be a great program to start with if you need to get that partition back. Once the partition is back, you will need to install windows using the advanced option and put the windows files into a new folder, that way you have your old data. I hope this helps.

4. gundiravi

gundiravi Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your suggestion . I could recover my files using ubuntu live as suggested by you.
    Thank you once again.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice