1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC acting strange: error messages

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by compnovice, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compnovice

compnovice Thread Starter

My PC is acting strange. I am unable to find programs that I know should be here ( Zone Alarm, Norton System works, ect...). My display is also messed up. It is larger than it was before.
    It is now like 800x600. When I go to change the display properties> settings tab, the screen goes black and locks up.

I get error messages: "Vsmon performed an illegal operation",
    " Waol performed an illegal operation...", ect...

I also can't load IE6 ! I am now on the net through AOL ( bleh ).

All this seemed to have happened after I deleted some files that I thought were duplicate. I did this through a program called " ABC View Manager ".

***I just now want my computer back the way it was before I deleted these files !***
    Is there a " go back " button ?

I can't seem to find the deleted files in the Recycle Bin, or anywhere.
    Please Help I am desprit ! My wife will kill me if she knows I did this. She needs this PC for work.

>>> Win98/ IE6 / P4 2.66/ 512 RAM/ Nvidea MX440 grafics card <<<

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello compnovice:

If this has happened within the last few days you can try a registry restore.

Click Start > Shutdown and choose Restart in MS-DOS

At the C:> prompt enter scanreg /restore.

You will be given a list of 5 registries to restore from. Select the fourth oldes. Never select the first one; it will never work.

Reboot then let us know if it helped.

3. compnovice

I can't even get it to re-start in MS-DOS mode.
    I try through the Start menu, but nothing happens.

It acts like it is tring to shut down, but just "hangs up"
    I hit ctrl-alt-del to see what is the hold up.
    It will tell me " this program " not responding. I select "end task",
    but still no restart.

==Definatly can't "restart to DOS". It acted like it was restarting in DOS. I got the C:\> prompt. Then it said " Windows is restarting". It the went right to windows. I was unable to type in anything==

*** Is there another way to restart is DOS other than through the Start menu ?***

( I am getting sleepy, will check in the morning. Thanks )

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    The other way to start in DOS is to use a W98se boot floppy.

Also: when you get error messages, write them down exactly and post them here. They may reveal important information as to your problem. Can you remember what kind of files and from where the ABC View Manager deleted?

5. compnovice

Ok, I found a 3.5' floppy disk labeled " Universal Boot Disk, Windows 95, Version 1.1 ".

And I have a Windows 98 CD.

Which one should I use?
    Should I put the disk in while still in Windows and try to access the disk through that drive letter.
    Or should I restart the PC with the disk in the drive?

6. compnovice

Update>>>>
    Somehow I was able to get it into DOS mode: during one of my attempts to shut down, it went to that screen where you get 6 choices ( safe mode, normal , comand prompt, ect...)

I went into command prompt and selected a date that I thought was safe. I then rebooted to "normal mode". I got these three error meggages in order.
    " Cannot find device file that may be needed to run windows...
    cshook.vxd
    press any key to continue"

** I press a key then get:

" cannot find device file.....c:\progra~1\norton~1\navap.vxd

**I press a key then get a blue screen with " FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR OE at 035F:00001233 press ctrl-alt-del to restart or any key to retry"

Somehow I am now in window, in IE typing this. i was'nt able to do that before now.

My display is HUGE AND UGLY because I am afraid to change the display settings for fear of having to re-start.

****What do I do about these error messages?

7. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello again.

To get that start menu, keep tapping the F8 key while the computer is starting. Once you have the menu, select Safe Mode.

While in safe mode go into Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs. Uninstall Norton.

Reboot and start your computer in normal mode. The try reinstalling your Norton.

8. compnovice

Ok I did that: Uninstalled Norton Systemworks, yet i am still having problems with the installation.

It says " Norton Systemworks installation has detected the following applications on your computer. You must uninstall
    the versions bundled in Norton Systemworks:
    Norton Cleansweep
    Norton Utilities"

Nothing was found in the control panel>remove programs option so I did a "find" for anything "Norton" on my 3 HD's and deleted them.

It still gives me the same message upon installation.

Also, I have no sound now. Could that cshook.vxd error be for my Creative Soundblaster?

9. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

No, both navap.vxd and cshook.vxd are Norton files. That is why I suggested a uninstall/reinstall. I had similar problems with W98se and Norton. what I ended up doing is copying the Norton CD to the hard drive then booting into safe mode and installing Norton from the hard drive instead of the CD.

10. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    P.S.

Ignore the sound for now. It is a relatively minor problem and after the big problems are fixed you an easily reinstall the sound adapter drivers.

11. compnovice

ok I'm willing to try anything now.
    How do I copy the Norton CD to the HD and do what you did?

12. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello again:

All you have to do is create a folder on your HDD can name it something like "Norton".

Insert the Norton CD and cancel if it tries to auto-install. "Explore" the CD, copy all folders and files and paste them into the folder you created.

Boot into safe mode and go to the folder you created and copied the norton CD into. double-click the setup.exe file and Norton installation should begin.

13. compnovice

I can't take this any more. I'm about to cry!

I think I really messed things up . My internet browser, display, sounds, some programs are all acting funny.

I am 90 percent convinced I need to bakup my files and programs
    then re-format the HD and start again with installing everything ! :confused:

14. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    How are they acting funny?

If you really think it is messed up badly and you are in over your head you can try to reinstall Windows over top of itself, without formatting. It's a fast and easy fix and though it is not guaranteed to work, it just may.

15. compnovice

I'm willing to try that. I'm all for "fast and easy " !

Will it empty the folders ( Norton, Zone Alarm ) that are missing parts, thus enabling me to re-install them?

Do I need to back stuff up to CD first?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice