1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC beeps once then completely freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chunkylover53, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chunkylover53

chunkylover53 Thread Starter

It happens randomly, ranging from a few hours after the PC is restarted to a few days. Usually I am just browsing a page or on Microsoft Word etc (nothing CPU intensive as such) when it will simply beep and completely freeze. I have installed an SSD and CPU around 4 months ago which is documented by my previous threads although this problem only started occurring in the last two weeks.

Yes the PC is 7 years old, and it has been on 24/7 for the last 4 years so could it possibly be on its last legs.

Thanks

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Its very possible that it is. I would have to say if you have done everything else more than likely the motherboard has had it.The only other thing it could be maybe is a bad ram module.I dont know if a computer being on constantly is a good thing or not.I turn mine off when im not using them.

3. chunkylover53

If it's the motherboard then I will probably trash the PC and take the parts. In all fairness it is running like a dream right now and a hell of a lot faster than my sisters W7 PC with the SSD etc so it baffles me. Is there any program etc that will let me test the memory modules because I am willing to replace them if they are the problem?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its running ok now im not so sure its the motherboard then. Ram modules im not experienced with as ive only had one go bad in a desktop and diagnosed it correctly by the beep codes and had it replaced.Im sure there is a program that will test the ram for you. Someone should be by that can give you more advice.

5. chunkylover53

Thank you for replying. Around five hours now and no restarts etc so going good and at least the motherboard is ruled out. I would appreciate it if anybody knew how to test the RAM :)

EDIT: Willing to spend around £10 if needs must

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. chunkylover53

Thank you very much. Do you know the average time it will take to check a 1gb stick for errors because I want to work out whether to leave the PC on overnight for one stick and so forth?

8. blues_harp28

I'd let it run overnight.
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html
    Quote.
    'How long to test:
    Unlike other memory checking software, MemTest is designed to find all types of memory errors, including intermittent problems.
    To catch intermittent errors, however, you need to run it for several hours'

'1.Test until 100% coverage (a quick test to make sure your RAM is functioning reasonably)
    2.Test for 1 hour (this will catch everything except intermittent of errors)
    3.Test overnight (recommended; your computer is not doing anything else at night anyway, why not be absolutely sure your RAM is good?)'

9. chunkylover53

Cheers I will leave one stick at a time and test it overnight then replace the stick and test it while I'm at school so I can get all four tested in two days. I don't have any antistatic bags available though so where can I put the memory sticks that are left outside?

Thank you

10. blues_harp28

I usually use cardboard from cereal boxes - make up memory size containers for each memory stick.
    Has always worked for me.

11. chunkylover53

Great I will probably use the cardboard packaging that cling film or foil etc come in unless I finish my weetabix :p

12. blues_harp28

Ok - run the Mem Test and let us know what it finds.

13. chunkylover53

Will do, I have decided to wait for the next time the PC freezes. So far its been up for 30hrs ish

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice