1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC dead and having trouble diagnosing the problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HellesAngel, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HellesAngel

HellesAngel Thread Starter

First post to this board so hello everyone.

My PC has died, it is an old Pentium 4 system that I built myself and has been running fine for years. Before it died finally I noticed that sometimes it wouldn't boot when the power button was pushed. There was no BIOS screen, no POST, no beeps, nothing. Repeated attempts always got it going, however.

Now the PC is completely dead - there is no POST, no BIOS, no beeps, but the fans all spin and the MSI diagnostic panel on the back shows two orange and two red LEDs in a diagonal pattern. I cannot find what this means, it is not listed in the instruction book.

The tests I've performed so far are:

1. Verified the PSU (BeQuiet 400W) using a multimeter that all 3/5/12 volt lines on the ATX connector have the correct voltage - the PSU appears to be working fine, all lines have the expected voltage even when installed and connected to the main board.
    2. Tried booting without hard disks, graphics card, and using only one RAM stick - always the same, no POST, no beeps, no display.
    3. Swapped the CPU for another that I believe is working - there is no change, the PC is always dead.
    4. Changed the mainboard to a brand new ASRock with new RAM, but re-using the same PSU and CPU -The board would not boot, no beeps, nothing on the display.
    Is it possible that a PSU shows all the correct voltages but is still broken in some weird way? I will try a new PSU tomorrow just in case. If this does not work it would indicate that both CPUs are dead, which I would find surprising.

Can anyone offer any suggestions what to do next? Is there something I overlooked and can try before I put the whole thing in the bin and start again.

Thanks in advance.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sounds like the power supply is no longer providing
    enough current to handle the load.

3. HellesAngel

Many thanks - I tried to look at this with a voltmeter and couldn't see anything unusual but I guess you could have the right idea. Will try another PSU today.

4. HellesAngel

As the title states - but it's very odd as even when installed on the mainboard and trying to power the CPU all lines show the correct voltage, and the unit doesn't smell of burned electronics.

Thanks again.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

You should test the power supply with a power supply tester that tests the power good signal to make sure it is less than 500ms. Normally, a good power supply power good signal will be 330-390ms.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice