1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC does not like two memory sticks at same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eVILRigby, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi,
    hopefully this is something easy to crack as it has been driving me mad.

The basic issue is that my PC will not handle two memory sticks at the same time.

I have tried various different memory sticks together, and I have tried putting various single sticks in both bays seperately. The only thing that causes the problem is to have any two sticks in together. So the problem would not appear to be a physical problem with either bay, or with any memory I have used, which all works fine on other machines.

The specifics of the problem is that whilst the machine will run fine 99% of the time, there are two or three very specific things which will cause it to crash every time with a memory related blue screen of death error message giving an address and then the consequent reboot etc.

For example, if I call one specific report in the EPOS software I am running, which calculates a total stock value (so it is pulling more memory usage than normal at this point onw would think), then try and increase the zoom to make the text a big larger, you can visibly see the machine slow right down as it is literally reloading the page a few characters per second rather than fairly immediately and then we go blue screen annnnd POP!

Every other report in the EPOS appn does not cause a problem, but I am also running this appn on a couple of other machines without any issue whatsoever, and there are no other reported issues with their technical support of this nature, or with that particular report. So it is not the software. I did uninstall and reinstall it though just to make sure. And updated all hardware drivers etc. etc.

The other main cause of the intermittant crashes is surfing the internet. There are no specific pages or types of pages that cause the occasional crash though. However I am aware Mozilla does use a relatively large amount of amount of memory.

I have also cloned the hard drive of this pc with an identical drive and swapped the drives to eliminate any hard drive errors issues. The crashes still occurred.

So it would seem this machine just does not like having two memory sticks in.

The BIOS is set to autodetect the memory (my preferred choice I want to put in is a paired Crucial set of 1GB sticks which according to Crucial are compatible with this machine) but my guess is the issue must lie with how the BIOS is setting up for the memory perhaps.

The machine itself is only a Celeron 1000 MHz, as that is all this machine, which is basically a touch screen till, really requires to run the EPOS software. It is under warranty with J2 systems however I would have to send it back to them to look at it, which I have been told could take a month round trip, which would be a massive inconvenience as it is my only touch screen machine. And if it is merely a BIOS setting or similar I can sort myself then there is no need to send it back.

However this is where I could do with some expert advice on what to try next! So, any suggestions would be most welcome.

many thanks,

Jonathan

2. hrlow2

hrlow2

What is the make and model of the machine.
    This is essential information if we are to get an answer for you.

3. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

4. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi, sorry to post again. Any suggestions anyone?
    many thanks,
    Jonathan

5. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi, sorry to post again. Any suggestions anyone?
    many thanks,
    Jonathan

6. hrlow2

hrlow2

Manual doesn't say anything about RAM that I could find.
    What is the largest size single stick you have got to work?

7. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me.
    The memory is in theory upgradeable to 2Gb. I therefore bought a paired set of 1Gb Crucial sticks (again on the recommendation of the tech support guy at J2). I double checked compatibility at Crucial with the motherboard.

So the most I have had in one bay is 1Gb. I haven't tried anything larger.

I have the BIOS set to automatically set the voltage etc. Nothing is manually set.

regards,

Jonathan

8. hrlow2

hrlow2

Download and run either Belarc Advisor or SIW (System Information for Windows) and tell what type and name of the motherboard.

9. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Cool, many thanks for your help! Here are the relevant bits of the Belarc System Advisor report...

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom) Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a
    1000 megahertz IDTEden 1000MHz
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: CN700-8237
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/05/2007

1008 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty

many thanks,

Jonathan

10. hrlow2

hrlow2

11. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Well so it does. Despite the retailer clearly stating it takes up to 2Gb.

I guess it is conceivable I'm the only person who has actually tried upgrading the till system to 2Gb as it runs just the EPOS software fine on 256mb which it what comes with.

As I've also been using it for internet (checking supplier external stock systems) and occasionally running Office applications and also simultaneously playing music files over the shop sound system which are actually stored on an external USB elsewhere on the network, I had just wanted a bit more juice in there. It does handle all that fine with 1Gb to be fair. I was just very concerned I had a duff board or something when it was going wrong with 2Gb in. Now I know that is not the case, I can rest easy.

Many and sincere thanks for the help. I guess the lesson I've learned is to not believe the retailer's specs on the internals but check a little deeper in future. I wouldn't have thought to question that, but now I will, so thank you very much indeed.

kind regards,

Jonathan

12. hrlow2

hrlow2

Retailer will tell you what they think you want to hear. Just to make a $ale.
    Glad to have been of some help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice