1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PC fails to renew DHCP lease?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by buffoon, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

I have two PCs in two different locations of the neighborhood and each with a different Internet provider. Both are served by a radio link from the respective (different) providers (Antenna on the roof, Modem DSL box inside, Ethernet cable connection to PC).

The trouble arises at one location where the connection sometimes goes down briefly and then is back up but sometimes is gone for good. The provider then advises to cut off the mains power to everything (modem box, PC etc) and reconnect after a couple of minutes.

It usually works but sometimes it doesn't at all. Last night 3 times had no result. I contacted the Provider this morning who told me to disconnect/reconnect again and this time it worked. But he told me that they had done nothing their end and that the PC here had failed to renew DHCP lease. I understand what that is but my PCs at the other location have never had that issue (DHCP change is not so frequent with that other provider but this one here is expanding his customer list).

What bugs me is that the net goes down frequently with this one during a session but then comes up again, presumably renewing the DHCP lease all the time. Takes a coupla seconds, half a minute at most (DHCP changes quite frequently I know from a neighbor who often runs the config command).

I'm leery of the (usual) provider take that the fault lies/lay at my end.

I've only been working on this one for about a week so I don't know the provider's track record.

Thoughts?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's take a look at the following for when you have internet access and for when it is down. (Spanish is OK; the numbers are the same.)

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response(y)

I (obviously) have connection at the moment so I'll send the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
    C:\Users\

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxx
    Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
    WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein

Ethernet-Adapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
    Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking
    Controller
    Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-A7-78-B0
    DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
    Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
    Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse . : fe80::d103:67e:9b4e:b055%10(Bevorzugt)
    IPv4-Adresse . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254(Bevorzugt)
    Subnetzmaske . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease erhalten. . . . . . . . . . : Sonntag, 11. April 2010 10:05:38
    Lease läuft ab. . . . . . . . . . : Montag, 12. April 2010 22:20:38
    Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6-IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218109651
    DHCPv6-Client-DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0C-C1-D1-A4-00-1D-72-A7-78-B0

DNS-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Aktiviert
    Tunneladapter LAN-Verbindung*:
    Medienstatus. . . . . . . . . . . : Medium getrennt
    Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{614B11A2-217E-46BB-B10A-5C1A14120
    FC8}
    Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein

Tunneladapter LAN-Verbindung* 6:

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein
    IPv6-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:2c07:105f:c1ad:f741(Bevo
    rzugt)
    Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse . : fe80::2c07:105f:c1ad:f741%11(Bevorzugt)
    Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Deaktiviert

C:\Users\xxxxx>

As you can see the PC is a Kraut;)
    I notice that DHCP lease ends again tomorrow at 22:20 h so I'll sit hovering then. If connection comes back quickly I'll post that one from here, otherwise next day from a different house.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Realize that there are two leases involved. Your computer has a (36 hour) lease from the router. The router's WAN has a lease from your ISP. Unless you don't get a public IP from your ISP?

What is the brand and model of the "Modem DSL box inside"?

5. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Auf Deutsch? :)

Do you have the same DSL modem at both locations?

You can eliminate your computer as the source of the problem by renewing your lease. You'll need to run the command prompt as administrator. On Vista, find it under Accessories and right click on " command prompt" to run it as administrator (or is it Eingabeaufforderung? :)). Then type:

> ipconfig /release
    > ipconfig /renew

If this works, it is not a problem with your modem or signal. I have found that IE will renew the lease while other browsers will not.

I assume you've also eliminated the ethernet cable itself as a source of the problem by swapping it out. You have done that haven't you? :D

There are a number of potential problems from there. It could be your modem, your signal strength, your signal to noise ratio. Who is responsible for the installed equipment and wiring, you or the ISP? Is it the radio signal that cuts out or are their losses in the wiring? If your signal is good, you may need to replace the modem. It's the modem that must reestablish a connection and pass along the details to your PC.

If cycling all of the power on all of your equipment works, it is unlikely to be the ISP servers.

6. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

All I can read is "ATA VoIP".

There's a DC powered "splitter" fed with an IN cable from the roof antenna and feeding an OUT cable to the Modem (also DC powered) which connects to the PC via ethernet cable and (via RJ45) to the telephone (two OUTS).

We're in the sticks here, any bigger telephone company won't lay cables or even attempt WIFI, so a smaller company has discovered this niche and on every second house it furnishes asks the owner to let them install a relay nodule to serve neighboring house(s).

I asssume that they get the "masterline" from the national phone company here and just relay it all over the place via radiolink.

7. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

Ja:D. Y, tambièn tengo un otro en Español and two in English but at this place it's only the Krauter:D

No. Different providers, different modems. Even have wireless router over there in case I want to chuck a laptop down the hill and then jump after it:D and never a problem unless the speed went down or off (which at least the provider would admit to).
    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. At 1:45 AM I'm slowly fading here;)
    What's an ethernet cable? Is that where the modem gets its juice:p. I've found the tray BTW where the salami slices go:D
    Not me. I'm not responsible for anything. In fact I want to point out that I had nothing to do with any of this.:D From the other end of the ethernet cable to and including the PC it's my problem
    I have no idea which it is but since all of those are the ISP's responsibility I reckon I'll be in for another session of stonewalling by them. But I did try another ethernet cable from modem to PC and it works as well as the previous one.

Clearly while the lease is established the whole system works fine so I got a feeling it's not DHCP (even in view of Terrynet's info). I reckon the radio signal goes down with more occupation of bandwidth (narrowing by ISP). Needless to say I didn't have this crap installed but the exes tend to get adventurous when you don't watch them.

Have to get a laptop over here and see what that does

8. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

That just means Analog Telephone Adapter - allows you to use an analog phone with Voice Over Internet Protocol. Is there a manufacturer and model number? :)

If there is only an IN and an OUT, it's not a splitter. What type of cables connect to the antenna and the modem? What you describe sounds a lot like it may be POE (Power Over Ethernet) like this device from D-Link.. It allows the provision of power to an access point outside of the house which would be housed with your antenna. The same type of equipment is used for outside surveillance equipment. I'm just guessing at your setup.

Your modem appears to do some internal routing for the VoIP. Are the telephone OUTS RJ45 or RJ11 (are they internet or analog phones)? Does the phone work through the modem when the Internet is down?

I believe the technical term is "meshing". Is one of those companies Iberbanda? Here is a little background on mesh networks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network

So, a problem getting a connection could be an issue with another location on the mesh - somebody else's setup. :( A good tool for looking at the topology would be the tracert command. You can use any outside site and the command sytax is

> tracert google.com

You get a latency and an IP address for each node along your route.

Expatriates. :rolleyes::D

That's an interesting use for WiFI :D Where does the laptop get it's WIFI connection?

OK, LOL :D

So, you get that over there also. :rolleyes::) The issues sound outside the scope of this forum. So, you may have to harass the ISP to come get it working...

DHCP is the protocol that allows you to get a lease. You only need it to connect and get routing and DNS information. It could be as simple as a bad modem ... or not. :)

9. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

You're joking right? This is Spain, remember. I'd probably find something inside if I tore it apart.:D

You hit it exactly. It's all inside the antennna (comparativley small rectangular unit, hollow with some hardware inside.

. Sorry, phone socket is RJ11 and phone works even when Internet is down.

When it works:rolleyes:

This one here is expat Brit and very small but at the other house it's Iberbanda. They're more expensive at lower speed but I get very few glitches and since I offered to throw a technician off the ladder once (deserves got nuthin to do with it:)) they stopped feeding me bull.
    Thanks for that

Yeah, tell me about it:rolleyes::D

Depends on how far I chuck it.:) Over there it's actually Iberbanda with a somewhat similar setup and I've got a wireless router installed to use the laptop most anywhere in the house.

Trouble is it doesn't always happen, just occasionally and then, of coursse, always on weekends.

That's helpful:p

Thanks anyway:)

10. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Here is a link to a little light reading to help you analyze the problem. ;):p Or, you could follow this blog.

I find this interesting. With coaxial cable broadband, the phone and internet come in on two different channels and go out on the same channel. I have two different modems - one for the phone and one for the internet (actually three modems if you include video). Either your phone is on a different channel than the internet or we are back to a problem with your modem - PC handshaking.

I have found better response from the ISP when I do my own homework and guide them to the problem. :rolleyes:

The US consumer market, as usual, is behind on implementing WiMAX technology. The major players seem to be Clearwire and Sprint. I don't know of any implementation where relays are installed at a subscriber location. Instead, it requires line of sight to a cell tower. But the military seems to get the cool stuff first.

Could be due to sharing the bandwidth with other users.

Not enough Information. :) It sounds like it's time to get persistent with the ISP.

11. buffoon

buffoon Thread Starter

Last night's DHCP lease renewal worked without a whimper.

Thanks for all your input.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!