Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: PC freezes in normal mode - Not in safe mode

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I've had this PC for about 4 years now, and in the last year, it has done this twice. I boot up the PC as normal, and about 3-10 minutes later, everything freezes, except the mouse, which can move around. I have to hard reboot after this. I have done multiple tests on the PC, such as memtest86, disk check, core temp (39 degrees) and intel burn test, and got nothing from any of them. I am able to run in safe mode fine, it is just very slow.

PC specs:
Motherboard - Asus P5QPL - Vm EPU
PSU - OCZ400SXS - EU
Harddrive - Brand new Western Digital Red 1TB 64MB hard disk Drive SATA 6gb/s 7200rpm
Video Card - MSI N9600GT - MD512 DDR3
RAM - Corsair XMS3

Any help would be great
Thanks, Simon.

#2 ·
SimplytheWest

Welcome to Tech Support Guy

Send this please
Please send me SPECCY URL so that I may have a look at some more details
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

the FREE ONE
then please do this

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:
  1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#4 ·
1. OK forget Speccy for the time being please

2. Boot into normal mode if you can

Then change that to clean boot mode
  1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start

, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.

Collapse this imageExpand this image

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

TEST please in clean boot mode - does it still freeze

#6 ·
OK forget Speccy for the time being please
so do you mean analyse in Speccy or are you not yet in clean boot

#8 ·
OKAY

So to ensure we are on the same track
1. Does it now also freeze, in Safe Mode even if you are NOT running Speccy

2. Does it freeze in Safe Mode ONLY as against Safe Mode with Networking

3. Does it freeze in LOW resolution mode eg VGA mode as was on XP which uses your graphics driver in VGA mode as against the Windows generic graphics driver used in Safe Mode

4. Does it freeze if you disconnect all possible eg. Camera, printer, any usb drives including external or flash drives and leave just mouse monitor and keyboard

5. If mouse or keyboard are wireless can you test with conventional wired

6. I know you say you have run numerous tests, do these include please a full chkdsk on that WD and a WD utility check, a system file check on sfc /scannow.

7. Have you run a check on the voltages - just in case we have a PSU fault when a demand is made, although OCZ is a good make, but anything can go, as you know

8. Memtest tests, good as is it, only the read write and retention of data. It does not and cannot test ram to CPU and chipset compatibility. Have you by any chance, recently upgraded, added, changed ram.

9. Have you had any BSOD and do you have the dumps
If so zip and attach a dump file please

#9 ·
I am going offline for about 2 hours.
I will continue as soon as I return
Would you kindly post your response to my post 8

It would greatly assist if you could number your response 1 to 9.

See you shortly

#10 ·
1. No, it doesn't freeze is safe mode at all

2. No again

3. No freezing at all

4. No difference

5. Un-able to do that at a moment, I have no other keyboards/mouse

6. Yes, done both, nothing returned

7. I haven't tested the PSU at all yet

8. RAM hasn't been changed what-so-ever

9. No BSODs as yet

#11 ·
If it does not freeze in low resolution mode, which is normal operating with all drivers etc running, except as I say your graphics driver operating low resolution eg VGA mode, then it is on all the evidence available up to now either the graphics driver or the card itself, the latter of course being rather unlikely

I would go here
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N9600GT-MD512.html#/?div=Driver&os=All

and install the latest driver.
If you HAVE that I would revert to the last earlier.

On some cards it is recommended that the drivers presently in use are uninstalled from Control panel Programs and features, and then the replacement driver installed, it already having been downloaded, after reboot.

I would also take the precaution of disabling any anti-virus and firewall, whilst downloading from MSI and indeed whilst installing

This in my experience is particularly advisable in the case of 3rd part AV`s and firewalls eg. other than
MSE and Windows firewall.

I am unsure now of how you are booting
If you are still in clean boot do not forget of course to retest on normal boot
Windows 7 and Windows Vista

1. Click Start

, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or click Continue.
  2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart

#12 ·
Hi, yes good advice from macboatmaster, to assist us we do need more info if speccy won't run in normal mode go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

Code:
echo > 0 & tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe" >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & systeminfo >> 0 & echo  >> 0 & notepad 0
press enter

A notepad will open (please remove the windows updates list,we don't need it) we do need the info about your network card though. Copy and paste the whole thing here please.

#15 ·
You are welcome
Please mark your topic solved by clicking on the "mark solved" button on your post

If at anytime the problem resurrects itself, please come back and we will look at other possible causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.